Author Topic: Undeveloped teeth  (Read 7075 times)

lparrack

• View Profile
Undeveloped teeth
« on: May 20, 2010, 06:54:24 AM »
My daughters 4y/o  White Boxer hardly has any teeth. She has canines but all the teeth inbetween are barely exposed above the gumline. She has a very healthy appetite and does not seem to have a problem eating or chewing,but I wonder if this a common problem and could it also be another reason for her gas problems. We have tried just about everything on the market,dry,canned and moist and even tried mixing a little canned with the dry food,but everything gives her gas.She is very happy,healthy and playful and loves to talk and sing. Any suggestions?

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Central Illinois General & Maggie
    • View Profile
Re: Undeveloped teeth
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 07:11:01 AM »
I honestly can't say about the teeth, but for the gas................do you have a nose clip and a lot of air fresheners?  LOL. 
Here's a link for more talk about the gas. 

http://boxerdogforums.com/index.php?topic=692.0
The General and Maggie
From Central Illinois

Scout-Gunners Momma

• Best of Breed
  • Gotta love boxers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 11:11:01 AM »
Scout sings too.  ;D  He also has what I call under-developed teeth.  You can barely see them above the gums.  Gunner's bottom front teeth are barely above the gums but are bigger than Scouts but still very small.

Gas is a constant problem in our house too.  Any food with a lot of filler will create that problem but I think the breed is just gassy.
Scout & Gunner's Momma

If forced to choose between romantic love and my boxer, I'd surely choose my boxer :)

[

Brig

• Best of Breed
  • Lake District, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:34:13 PM »
The fart's of death lol, my husband now blames Shank's for his bad wind!!! Shank's bottom front teeth are  quiet small and his side teeth aren't that much above his gum's.
Mummy of Shankley aka Shanks

Janice59

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 03:00:13 PM »
Don't stress about their teeth; this is just a boxer trait.  I have never seen a boxer with really big teeth except for their canine teeth. Sometimes they are also very crooked to; so long as their gums and teeth a healthy pink and cleans they are usually good.  Petsmart sells some felt floss toys and they are great. My girls go through about two a month, thank goodness the price is only about 5.00. They have great fun playing tug-o-war, just tossing them around.  The bonus is they have really white healthy teeth, no tarter.
Life is short....stop and smell the roses!

lazeebones

• Best of Breed
  • It's all about Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 06:06:57 PM »
All my boxers have what I have considered crappy teeth, small rice size fronts..

Maxwell has hardly any exposed on the sides.

I have a hard time getting him to let me brush them, he is good about anything else, I can play with his toes and feet, he just lays there, doesn't pull away or anything, but brushing his teeth is a night mare.

Maxwell has no gas, some of my others did, some very bad, but Max, none, yet, he's only 2yrs3mo.

Dave B.

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 07:29:21 AM »
Most of ours have had small in between teeth as well and as for the gas problem, a vet up here once said that Boxers are the only breed that can turn flatulence into an art form! It's like the drool thing, you learn to live with it.

Mickyp

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »
I know Boxers were originally bread for bull baiting so could the crappy teeth be something to do with holding onto the bull but not doing too much damage?

AliBomeCody

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 05:26:26 AM »
Our three lads have different teeth all together and not one appears to be suffering... now.

Ali, our older undocumented lad, came to us with his canines flattened 1/3 down, we were told to stop his puppy playfulness from damaging his champion papered playmates. His uppers and lowers are straight and small. He has so many major troubles (hips and cancer) we have no concern about his small teeth.

BoMe came to us with intact canines that he used expertly to play-fight and frequently cut Ali who 2 years older, was and is so submissive as to allow this and not fight back... poor lad could not do any harm the same way even if he wanted to!  To protect Ali, we had BoMe's canines less severely but yet also dulled.

BoMe's in-betweens, uppers and lowers, and those immediately behind the canines, are very small and/or buried by gums. BoMe has so many major troubles (see other topics - he appears on the mend now thank you), we are happy his teeth are not among them... but ugly they are ... thankfully his huge tongue is out, masks the full-gum look, and gives him a lovely boxer smile.

Cody... Cody... Cody, our demanding darling pup, has absolutely perfect teeth all over. They are fully developed but he has such a soft mouth bite that not once has he bruised much less injured his mates or any in our family, even with his fully sharp (and are they ever) canines.

My son wanted a white but we chose 4th generation (Thai) champion Cody hoping he has no genetic defects and can be bred.

About the singing, I am jealous!

About gas times three, .... it will not ever smell sweet .... we really love our lads and do keep our front doors fully open 24/7 ....

Janice59

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 01:31:19 AM »
LOL, I  think their claws ae worse than their teeth; I have scars on my arms from them playing and boxing with me.  They are so quick to grab with those two front feet.
Life is short....stop and smell the roses!

The Boxer Dog Forum

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 01:31:19 AM »