Author Topic: Does your boxer get along with cats?  (Read 5628 times)

Amanda

• Junior Boxer
  • Boxers rule! (especially Salo:)
    • View Profile
Does your boxer get along with cats?
« on: December 26, 2009, 10:11:30 AM »
My cousin is thinking about having us take care of her cat for a week while she goes away on vacation. My boxer, Salo, hasn't really been around cats much and hasn't spent time with my cousin's cat before... Any tips or ideas? How would your boxer dogs react?

Of course I'll give them a short test run together, but I'm still a bit nervous about the whole situation...

Thanks all!

bolerame

• Champion
  • Breeding & showing Boxers of exceptional beauty
    • View Profile
    • Bolerame Boxers Reg'd & Bolerame Photography
Re: Does your boxer get along with cats?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 11:32:13 PM »
It all depends on the individual dog and how strong his prey drive is.  There are Boxers who absolutely cannot be left alone with any smaller animal (other than another dog).  Our Boxers have been raised with our cat and to them he's just one odd looking Boxer.  Even the cat thinks he's a dog.   However, having said that, if Chino is outside and Penny is also outside, as long as he does not run from her everything is kocher.  But... if he runs then the chase is on and there's been times that we've feared the worst. 

Friends of ours, who also raise and show Boxers, also have 2 cats.  The cats cannot be left to roam the house when the dogs are inside.  It would not be a good thing.  Funny thing is, is that our cat is a brother to both of these other 2 and yet their temperaments are totally different.  Then again, Brooke, our eldest Boxer loves ALL baby animals/birds and when we brought Chino home, she took it upon herself to be his mommy (see attached photo). 

The best thing would be to crate the dog and allow the cat to roam free and see how it goes.
Bolerame Boxers Reg'd
Home of
Ch.Bolerame's Arwen Evenstar
BPIB.Ch.Bolerame's Miss Moneypenny
BPIB.Bolerame's Cant Stop The Rayne
BPIB.Ch.Emikaun Titan Moon at Bolerame
BPISS.MBPIB.Emikaun Sweet Soul at Bolerame
Bolerame's Coco Chanel
BPIB.Hammid's Hot Ember At Bolerame (Afghan Hound)

Sheree

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 02:52:21 AM »
I have 2 cats who have tolerated the dogs that have come & gone...pet sitting and helped for almost 3 months heal a dog's front paws where a 4 yr old wrapped rubber bands around them.

Missy (cat) doesn't like Shelby and has been sent to the basement for peeing on any rug or blanket Shelby's scent is on. I do let her come up 1-2 times a week and give treats. This is the only time they are all together in a temporary truce, but it took time to get to this point. Mikki (cat) doesn't like being nosed, hisses and slaps Shelby (dog). This makes Shelby want to play even more...then the chase is on. Sometimes Mikki will instigate a chase, I have caught her rubbing up against Shelby twice. I'm learning when to step in and when to sit & watch. Shelby just wants to play, play, play!

Good luck.

mollyL

• Puppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 07:35:56 PM »
When I do get my boxer, he'll definitely have to be a cat-loving dog. We have an ancient Siamese cat that rules our roost, us included.

leannj1970

• Puppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 07:56:45 PM »
I have 3 boxers and 5 cats. Three of the cats were born in our  house and they all get along great. But as stated above, it depends on the temperment of the dog. See photos  of my boxers with some of my cats.

suzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 06:36:13 PM »
DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!

If your dog is in  the correct position within the pack, you can train it to respect any creature you want to introduce into your house.  But this is not someting you can do overnight.  If I were you I would not even think about taking these cats, it would stress them out enough just being taken away from their home and their owner.  But to be Left with a dog........... If you left them even for 10 minuets, your house would be wrecked, and you could have a dog thats been very injured by the cats, or dead cats.

justontime

• Puppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 05:33:40 PM »
I introduced an older (stray) cat to our home. I had one dog and one cat. The dog accepted the new cat within a few days but it took the cat a couple of weeks to dare to walk on the floor near the dog. They all get on fine now, but the older cat is the boss.

slinkypinkee6920

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 07:52:19 AM »
my boxer boy would quite happily eat my cats given half a chance but the girl just chases them for fun!! They were brought up with them too but still don really lke the cats!

mollyL

• Puppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 02:40:32 PM »
My brother has a huge dog that is a mix of St Bernard and Golden Retriever. She's a beautiful dog with a sweet disposition. She's decided that bro's ancient alley cat is her mum. The cat will scold (growl) and nips the dog's ear if she gets angry. The dog could eat the cat in one gulp but she's thoroughly cowed at her "mother".

dwogatzke

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 01:29:45 PM »
When my boxer Isabelle was 2, a feral cat had kittens in our boat. She abandoned them, so I had to bottle feed them. Out of 5 kittens, only 2 lived. I kept them in my grandson's bedroom. Isabelle would sit at the closed door for hours and when they got old enough to hang around just inside the door she would touch paws with them from under the door. When I finally introduced them, it was like they had know each other forever. She would clean them etc. Then a year later we bred her and of course I kept the cats away from my bedroom where she and pups were. When the pups were about 4-5 weeks old the cats and pups would play. Now one of the cats has gone missing (coyotes I'm afraid) and the other cat's personality has changed. Now he runs from the dogs and they chase him, and the way they interact is completely different. The dogs can no longer be trusted alone with the cat. 

The Boxer Dog Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 01:29:45 PM »