Author Topic: Brain Tumors in Boxers  (Read 1707 times)

catlady4847

• View Profile
Brain Tumors in Boxers
« on: May 17, 2013, 02:35:46 AM »
 :'(  We just took our beautiful Phoebe, a 7 year old Boxer, to the vet today.  She had been having seizures that were not helped by medicine.  Then she started stumbling around not able to keep her balance.  Then, on top of all that, sh hasn't wanted to eat.  She usually scarfs her food.  The vet checked her over and it appears she has a brain tumor.  He gave her 4-6 weeks.  We are devistated.  I just don't know when to call enough.  I can't talk to her and ask her if she is in pain or if she is ready to go.  Has anyone else had to make this decision about their dog.  When do you say its time.  It was easy with my first dog.  She was 18 and had a total stroke where she could not move, eat, drink and was incontinent.  That was a no brainer.  But this one is different, she can still walk (even if it is wobblie).  She is still able to go outside to go to the bathroom.  She still wants to be with us.  Have any of you had to make this kind of decision?  When did you know it was time?

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Central Illinois General & Maggie
    • View Profile
Re: Brain Tumors in Boxers
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 07:44:17 AM »
I am so sorry to hear this.  It's such heart wrenching times like this that we gather around and ask why?  She has stopped eating, which means she's shutting down.  Bless her heart.  She will let  you know, if she hasn't already.  Please don't make her suffer.  I'm sorry to be so blunt.  My heart hurts for you and her.  It's a very hard decision and never easy.  (((HUGS)))
The General and Maggie
From Central Illinois

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 11:17:04 AM »
I am sorry you have to go through this..I had to make this decision on my chicklet who was 1 and a half..I was the hardest decision i had to make

I agree with Nancy on this one...
Loved by  Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber, Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

catlady4847

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 02:19:29 PM »
She actually ate her dinner last night and 80% of her breakfast this morning.  I have called the vet for pain meds.  She is pushing her head into the couch and my hand as hard as she can, so I know her head is hurting.  Gave her some Metacam which she had for her arthritic pain, but I know it didn't do much.  She will have the best quality of life I can give her for whatever time she has.  I was a hospice nurse for many years and have a lot of experience with humans, just different when its my dog going through this.  I called her former owner who had her from 8 weeks old to let him have the opportunity of seeing her again and saying his goodbyes.  He is coming next week.  Just got a call back from the vet who is going to give her Tramadol.  Anyone have any experience with this med?

Dexters Mama

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 02:31:25 PM »
Poor sweet girl. Sounds like you know it's close and will do what it takes when the time is right. Prayers to you all!

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 04:55:55 PM »
Yes, it's getting close.  Prayers for you and your girl. 

As for the Tramadol, we've had experience with it.  It didn't faze General or Maggie much, but it sends my brother's boxer girl for a loop when the vet gave it to her. 

How many grams are they giving her? 
The General and Maggie
From Central Illinois

catlady4847

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 03:21:32 AM »
The Tramadol is 50 mg. tablets and I have started with 2 every 8-12 hours.  I can go up to 3 if needed.  Gave them to her tonight and she wasn't butting her head into the sofa, so maybe it helped.  She fell 3 or 4 times tonight and I worry she will break a leg.  I talked to the insurance company and they will cover any care she needs, but I don't want her breaking anything.  She insists on walking around all the time.  Hubby took her out on the lawn with him and she didn't slip so much.  Better footing on grass than on hardwood floors.  I'm thinking about getting her some boots with rubber soles that will give her more traction and maybe keep her from bending her foot back not knowing it is dragging.  Its worth a try, just don't know if she would keep them on.

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 07:53:56 AM »
Why would you put her through getting use to boots?  I'm sorry to be so blunt, but if she's falling, please don't make her suffer.  PLEASE.  It breaks my heart, but her body is shutting down before your eyes.  Prayers and hugs for you and your family. 

What a beautiful girl she is.  She is depending on you to take that step.  It's hard as hell.  (((HUGS)))  I am crying now just thinking of your baby girl.  It hits hard. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 07:59:27 AM by Nancy-IL »
The General and Maggie
From Central Illinois

ptcarter

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 09:53:58 PM »
Your heart is in the right place, but please don't try booties at this point in time. They require getting used to and your Phoebe is in no place to adjust to them.

Your photos are beautiful. What a wonderful & dignified grey muzzle Phoebe has from a good life! Phoebe is ending her time on this planet with love. Don't worry if her former owner can't get there in time - that's our human need for closure, not HERS. Phoebe already knows everything she needs to about love from you. Let her transition with all the same love and passion you gave her over the last 7 years.

Like Nancy, I'm crying as I type. It hurts like hell to say goodbye.

"The Boxer fears neither death nor the devil."

delly1971

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 04:35:04 AM »
i lost mt 1st boxer asti to a brian tumor  :'( x
her head was cocked to 1 side, she was falling over etc x
this started on the saturday morning...we decided we would take her to the vets to put her to sleep on the monday morning x
we decided monday, so our 2 daughters how had grown up with asti could say their goodbye's x
we got to sunday lunch time + i couldnt put asti through anymore x
yes she was still eating, on tramadol for pain meds for a  TCL x
boots will NOT help her in anyway..its her balance thats gone, not slippy floors etc x

please,please...take this poor girl to the vets  :'( x

im heartbroken typing this to you, as i know what your going through x x x
r.i.p asti 29.07.02 - 04.09.11 x

Idigboxersman

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 03:38:47 PM »
What a beautiful girl. It is so devastating losing a Boxer. Especially one at only 7.
I went through a similar situation with one at 6yrs old.
 If I ever need to I will try this treatment next time.
http://www.bavariasboxers.com/cancer.htm

There is a nice poem started by Freddie in the Rainbow bridge forum that may give you guidance.

catlady4847

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 06:53:22 PM »
I'm looking closely at her quality of life.  I did give up on the boots.  I'm just keeping her on the carpeted areas as she is much steadier on carpet.  She is still going outside and following my husband around.  She is still excited to eat her breakfast and dinner.  The former owner will be here this week-end and I have her very comfortable on the pain meds.  She is not bumping her head into the couch like she did before the meds.  I feel very comfortable that she will be ok through the weekend.  He had her since she was 8 weeks old until February when we got her.  So he had the 7 years of being with her, we have only had 3 months.  I told them that maybe the good Lord saw what was ahead and knew, with them both working, they didn't have the time to take care of a sick dog.  We are retired, so we have the time to care for and help her with whatever time she has left.  It would be really hard for them to care for her and the baby and what would Phoebe do all day with them gone.  It all worked out for the best.

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 07:17:24 PM »
Makes me sad. 
The General and Maggie
From Central Illinois

delly1971

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »
 :iagree: nancy  :'( x
r.i.p asti 29.07.02 - 04.09.11 x

boxerlover16

• Puppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 08:24:03 AM »
What a beautiful boy. For you & Phoebe im sending massive Hugs. My heart goes out to you. So very sad. xx

The Boxer Dog Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 08:24:03 AM »