Author Topic: Heart Murmurs in Boxers  (Read 1680 times)

BoxerLove13

• Junior Boxer
    • View Profile
Heart Murmurs in Boxers
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:05:31 PM »
Does anyone have a Boxer with a Heart Murmur? Yesterday I took my three Boxers to the Vet for their yearly Exams and the Vet told us that our oldest male Riglee who will be 3yrs old in May has a Heart Murmur. This is the first time we have been told this. Riglee has been healthy and we have had no problems with him since the day we brought him home when he was 12wks old. Our Vet asked us if he tired easily after exercise, which he does. Our other two Boxers will run for hours if we let them but Riglee is laying down after about 30-40 min. Riglee has never been a very playful dog and seems to act bored with the other two. He has always been a big, sweet, cuddle dog and we just attributed all of these things to his personality which is very "layed back" "I dont care" attitude.
The Vet did not seem overly concerned and told us to just keep an eye on him especially during exercise. That is all he told us. I am freaking out. Should I just go with my Vet's advice or should I get a second opinion?
Mommy to Reese~Riglee~Rambo

SaharaNight Boxers

• Champion
    • View Profile
Re: Heart Murmurs in Boxers
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »
Did he say what grade it is? And did he just do an auscultation? I personally would get a holter and echo done also. We're his parents echoed and holtered before breeding?

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Ruby & Roddy are 9 years, Jakey 14 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 03:48:06 PM »
Hi there my Ruby has a grade 2/3 heart murmur.  We got her at 3 years of age, and we took her to see 2 different vets who both diagnosed it as a 2/3 murmur.  We had further testing done - ultrasound and ECG and both these tests confirmed it too, the outcome was considered 'innocent' and we only have to take her into the vets regularly to be checked over.  Ruby has and is very active exercise wise, up till last year she was out running around 2-3 hours a day without really tiring. 

Sometimes heart murmurs come and go and it is possible that it has been missed in the past.  This is very much the case with Ruby.  The last 3 times we have had her at the vets they have been unable to hear it at all. 

Did your vet grade the murmur?

IMG_2047e by Boxerdogmad, on Flickr

BoxerLove13

• Junior Boxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »
The vet said grade 2. I am not sure about his parents. We got him as a rescue from a bad situation. My guess is the parents had no health testing.
Up until yesterday he was what we thought a happy, healthy, white Boxer. He has been to the Vet for all of his checkups and shots and this is the first time they have heard a Murmur. After talking to my husband we may get a second opinion just to make me feel better about things. I worry about my dogs more then I do my kids! LOL

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Ruby & Roddy are 9 years, Jakey 14 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 05:09:10 PM »
I tend to get a second opinion for most things to do with the dogs,  I am like you.....worry, worry, worry..... A grade 1-2 is minor and would be considered innocent if the structure of the heart is normal.  Let us know what the second vet thinks and whether s/he would advise further testing.  When we were first told Ruby had a murmur we were very panicked, boxers are known for heart conditions and like Riglee, Ruby is a rescue too so we cannot look at the parents to see what health testing there was in place.  Our vets recommended further testing, they usually do from grade 3 upwards or if there are other symptons in place - fatigue, fainting etc...

IMG_2047e by Boxerdogmad, on Flickr

SaharaNight Boxers

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 06:50:05 PM »
I would personally get a holter to see how often it occurs and probably an echo too to look at the structure and make sure everything is flowing ok.

BoxerLove13

• Junior Boxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 09:21:44 AM »
Thanks everyone! We are going to get a 2nd opinion and go from there. If nothing else just to make Mommy feel better! :-)

wyterayven

• Champion
    • View Profile
    • Ardenvale Boxers
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 07:50:07 PM »
You can holtor, but that will only tell you if he is having premature contractions, which is one of the symptoms of several heart diseases. Still it would be good to do. An echocardiogram might be worth doing as well as that shows the structure of the heart and whether the is SAS/PS.

I would take him to a board certified cardiologist for a check up and see what you are truly dealing with. It may be not worth treating at this time, or it could be serious.

Regular vets are not qualified to tell. For example, I took one of my girls into the vet for a check up and they gave her a clean bill of health. I took her to a cardiologist and he found that she was in almost constant arrhythmia. If I had not take her to the cardiologist I would likely have lost her within a few days.

This could be an expensive appointment, but it would be worth it to know what you are dealing with.

Dawn Thompson
Ardenvale Boxers

The Boxer Dog Forum

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 07:50:07 PM »