Author Topic: .....................What dog food do you feed your dog?........................  (Read 28478 times)

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
Ok, we get so many posts on this forum about which dog food people feed, that maybe we should just have one thread where people add what they feed on to it?  So, please could forum members list what they feed and any extra info too, eg, what they like about the product - price, ingredients, whatever.  Could you also please mention what you fed as a puppy and the ages of your dogs now.  If you fed something and didn't like it, please can you add that & the reasons as well.  Many thanks!

For those reading this thread I am sure you will find a variety of answers here. It is a bewildering topic as there is so much choice available.  You might want to check out the 2 sites below.  They independently review dog foods and grade them accordingly. The higher the star grading the more species appropriate they consider the dog food to be:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

At the end of the day though just because a dog food is rated 5 or 6 stars it doesn't automatically mean that it will agree with your dog!  Sometimes the only way of finding a dog food that suits your dog is to give it to your dog and judge for yourself.  To this end you will find that most dog food companies will send out free samples if you ask!  It is also recommended that you vary their food regularly as well - further info here - http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/how-often-should-i-change-foods.html
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:19:07 pm by Stephanie »

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
Re: What dog food do you feed your dog?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 05:18:30 pm »
When we first got Ruby [age 3 years] she was fed a barf style diet - raw meat, raw bones, canned fish, veg, fruit as well as some carbs - quinoa, millet, sweet potato.  A couple of times a week she got kibble too - alternating between Orijen & Taste of the Wild.  I fed her this way for a year or so, then switched her over to raw prey model - info here: https://www.boxerdogforums.com/index.php?topic=3569.0

Roddy came to us as a foster dog [5 years].  When we first got him we tried him on loads of diffferent dog foods - Orijen, TOTW, Wainwrights, James WellBeloved, Burns, Natures Diet and Chappie are some I can remember.  Of all of them Chappie suited him the most but he still had gas issues and huge sloppy poops on that.  Once we adopted him we switched him to raw prey model, and have never looked back.  Raw suits all my dogs really well, but feeding them this way is time consumming and works out more expensive than a dry diet.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:56:27 pm by Stephanie »

proud grandma

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
Re: What dog food do you feed your dog?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:08:47 pm »
     I feed my dogs TOTW High Prairie Canine formula.  I like that it is grain-free and besides a protein blend of roast bison, venison, lamb, egg, and fish it has fruit and vegtables (sweet potatoes, blue and blackberries , etc) for antioxidants  and has the omega-3 and 6 fatty acids for skin and coat.  The protein is 32%.  I have a nearly 13 year old Brittany that my vet now tells me she should not be on it because it has too much protein for a senior dog and very hard on her kidneys to break that all down.  So presently studying to come up with a good senior kibble----any suggestions?
     A couple of times a week I add some cooked rice or raw meat just for variety, otherwise they flourish on it.  I fed Science Diet for years and thought it was good until one day my vet asked me about one of the dog's coat.  They were surprised that his coat was so dry.  (He is Sawyer my rescue out of a shut down puppy mill in Missouri)  So I did some studying online and came up with TOTW and am very happy with it.  I can definitely see a difference.  A 30 lb bag is around $50 with tax.  That lasts me about 9-10 days
     For snacks I buy some Milkbone marrow snacks and biscuts, Beggin strips, and "moo tubes"  that Nancy got me hooked on.  The "moo tubes" are all natural and chemical free and have good things for their joints like glucosamine and chondroitin.  I buy a pack of 50 3" tubes for around $21.  Alot of the time there are coupons.
     I have 7 dogs.
     Molly--------13 years in April
     Chloe--------8 years
     Johnny------7 years
     Laddie-------5 years
     Sawyer------5 years
     Heidi---------5 years
     Dorothy------1 and 1/2 years--was on TOTW puppy formula until 6 months

Never expect to teach a dog more than he can teach you

smallpiper

• Best of Breed
  • Love my Hanna
    • View Profile
A mix of blue buffalo and natures diet.  Rice and cooked veg a couple of times a week mixed in. Also some cooked chicken....
Dogs and kids... a natural combination....

wyterayven

• Champion
    • View Profile
    • Ardenvale Boxers
I have fed kibble/canned, raw and homecooked.

Currently I feed mostly homecooked, with just enough kibble so that if I need to travel, I can use that, as it is easier.

Dawn Thompson
Ardenvale Boxers

Idigboxersman

Several of our Boxers have had sensitive stomachs. We went from science diet to the 'special' vets dog food, to TOTW to Blue Buffalo Basics. They had less gas and did OK on Basics, but seemed to get tired of the taste rather quickly. We have them switched now from Blue Buffalo Basics to the Blue Buffalo Wilderness, grain free chicken or duck recipes. They do ok in that they seem to like these and have less gas. We mix in about 1/4 cup assorted flavors of Blue Buffalo canned to one cup kibble three times each day. Our two Female Boxers weigh 54 - 60 lbs and are fit.
Ginger goes thru spells where she will skip a meal or two, and her stomach growls and gurgles. I'm not sure whats going on with that yet. I'll have to keep better track of what canned she's been eating when she does this.

edit 10-22-13: to update. We switched to Merrick. We are now rotating three of Merrick recipes. Beef, pork and duck. Ginger has all but stopped her days here and there of fasting with a belly ache. All three Boxers do well on this kibble with 2 table spoon of Blue Buffalo asst canned flavours mixed in to each cup of kibble. Usually two meals a day consisting of 1c morn & 1 1/2c evening.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:03:22 pm by Idigboxersman »

Megamom

• Best of Breed
  • Hoss from Iowa
    • View Profile
  When we adopted Hoss the fosters had him on Purina pro plan.  Lord knows what he was eating before that but not much as he was pretty thin.   We switched to Blue Buffalo and we also use Nature’s Variety Freeze Dried Raw.   For snacks I give a can of sardines twice a week, but I may stop using fish, and I make liver snacks out of raw organic liver which I cook and then bake on a low over until it is almost like a jerkey.  I also use Zukes lamp treats for training but that is about all as Hoss doesn't care for most treats.

I forgot to mention he gets boiled eggs a couple of times a week also.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:50:23 pm by Megamom »
Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window

Steve Bluestone quotes

smallpiper

• Best of Breed
  • Love my Hanna
    • View Profile
Just switched Hanna to all Blue Buffalo for sensitive dogs, salmon and turkey and sweeet potato flavors.  She was on a mix of Blue and natures recipe when we got her and we stuck to that. She was a 3 year old rescue at the time.
Dogs and kids... a natural combination....

Jezabel

• View Profile
    • Boxer von Jezabel
Raw diet since almost 10yrs now.

If I sometime need kibble, TOTW bison or fish suit my dogs best.
Porto 10yrs - Anaïs 10yrs
Grete "Fräulein" von Preussen's Eden, 4yrs
Gamine des Hauts de Soyons, 2yrs
Gustin des Gorges d'Heric, 2yrs

SKilgore

• Best of Breed
  • Samantha & Roman
    • View Profile
We just switched from Beneful to Kirkland's grain free sweet potato and salmon.  After some research online we found that there is a lot of speculation stating that Kirkland and Taste of the Wild have the same ingredients and are produced at the same factory; just like many other things on the market that are "generic".
Boxer Mom since 2008

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Central Illinois Maggie and Major
    • View Profile
Good to know!  Thanks Samantha.
Maggie May 07/04/2010     Major Lee  02/22/2016

RIP  The General  02/04/2008 - 03/05/2016  You will always be in our hearts Big Boy!

tinydragon

• Me at home
    • View Profile
    • Service Dog School Fund
I feed my boxer Solid Gold.  It simply is the best dry dog food you can get.  It has no grain and no byproducts in it.  It costs an arm and a leg and it's worth every penny.

When feeding canned dog food I get Natural Balance because of the variety of foods they have.  They even have a fish formula that is all fish.

D. Irene

grkline

• Best of Breed
  • content with progress
    • View Profile
When we got Bailey at 2 months we feed him purina one for large breed puppies for 8 months till I heard purina had some issues so I switched to Kirkland brand from costco,they were on the good list on the food analyst sit. One thing I did notice is he poops more on the kirkland brand then he did with the purina, I got the evidence too proove it!

dpslocum92

• Puppy
    • View Profile
We feed our Maggie.  4Health from Tractor Supply, same ingredients as Blue Buffalo but cheaper.  She loves it.  She is 9 months old and I will keep her on this til she is a year then will gradually change her to the adult formula.

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Central Illinois Maggie and Major
    • View Profile
We feed our Maggie.  4Health from Tractor Supply, same ingredients as Blue Buffalo but cheaper.  She loves it.  She is 9 months old and I will keep her on this til she is a year then will gradually change her to the adult formula.

We too feed the 4Health and our General and Maggie love it also.  It's really good and does them good too.   :great:  If you get there when they have a demo on the food, get the samples......they have a $2 coupon on the back of them.  :-)
Maggie May 07/04/2010     Major Lee  02/22/2016

RIP  The General  02/04/2008 - 03/05/2016  You will always be in our hearts Big Boy!