Author Topic: my puppy's having bumps all over  (Read 1025 times)

gabbybear

• View Profile
my puppy's having bumps all over
« on: December 07, 2011, 01:54:39 AM »
i have a 4 months old boxers pup ..
and she was bitten by a scorpion 2 weeks ago ..that day she got bumps all over ,and she was given medicine by the vet and she was fine till last night .
then again last night the bumps appeared on her face and her whole body (mostly on face) and when we took her to the vet she told us it was an allergy.
now she gets it all the time and it disappears within about 2 or 3 hours . she scratches them .but she acts normal
she's loosing her weight.
note-the vet took a blood sample of her and she said that her blood count is normal

need advice on these bumps ..its pretty scary

would these bumps hold a grudge to her life ?

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 02:44:25 AM by gabbybear »
coming soon

gabbybear

• View Profile
Re: my puppy's having bumps all over
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 01:56:42 AM »
coming soon

sem977

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 03:25:06 AM »
Did you see where the site of the sting was and remove the stinger? Maybe see another vet.

gabbybear

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 03:51:11 AM »
yeah the vet removed the stinger ..
coming soon

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Ruby & Roddy are 9 years, Jakey 14 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 06:08:29 AM »
Can you give us some more info please.  What medicine did the vet give her?  I think it was probably antihistimine.  How long did she take them for? When did she stop taking the medicine?  How soon after stopping the medicine did the bumps appear?  How often are the bumps coming up - every day?  Is there anything you can relate it too - like do they come up after she comes in from the garden maybe? or after eating?   

IMG_2047e by Boxerdogmad, on Flickr

gabbybear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 06:32:36 AM »

the vet gave 3 injections ..(on the day the scorpion bit gabi
anyways she gave an antibiotic called AVIL 25
gabi was given the pills for about 2 days then she got fever ..then the vet told us to stop giving the pills
and she tld us IF the bumps appear again give piriton

then the bumps appeared on the 5th after a week we stopped avil 25
on the 5th we gave a blood sample of gabi to be checked ..and the report came as normal
then again last night the bumps appeared around 11.30 pm .since the vet told us to give piriton if it appears we gave piriton ..then the bumps slowly disappeared within about 4-5 hours

note- gabi sleeps with me on my bed
          she doesnt get any ticks since the day she was attacked by the scorpion (even before that day she didnt have ticks )
          gabi was not sent near the other dogs i have cuz they tried a couple of times to attack her

coming soon

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:42:37 AM »
OK, so the vet probably gave her an antihistimine injection as one of the 3 injections.  It sounds like an allergy of some sort as it responds to the piriton.  I am thinking that her immune system may need to settle down, maybe you need to put her on piriton for 2-3 days to try and get the histimines levels back down again...that's just my thinking anyway but I am not a vet and really I advise you to ask your vet for her/his opinion on this idea.  I think you also need to look around the house and garden and see if there anything there that could be triggering this off - anything new in the house - change of cleaning products, washing powder, anything.  Also, did you use any flea/tick treatments on her just recently?

gabbybear

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 11:08:44 AM »
umm yeah used a powder to ticks .. recommended by the vet
she eats every insect she sees :D how hard i try to stop her she just swallow insects .. she steps on them and squish em ..
coming soon

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 11:13:55 AM »
Could be a reaction to the tic powder but what sort of insects is she eating, do they sting/bite?  They could be stinging her mouth/throat as she eats and swallows them down.....

oscarevans1

• Best of Breed
  • Live life To The Full , Share it With A Boxer
    • View Profile
    • Oscars Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
Sounds Like uticaria which is a reaction to an allergy, oscar had this when he was 5 months old and my girlfriend sarah has had it to. the bumps go up and down all the time sometimes bigger than others, our vet knew what it was when sarah explained it looked like Uticaria. oscar lost weight and had blood tests and same as you they didnt come back with anything. if you ask your vet to look at the possibility of it being uticaria they may come back with something, oscars was eating a plant in our garden (which was removed straight away). In humans uticaria is a bit worse than in dogs, its kind of like hives in dogs. they just give antibiotics and it goes within 2-3 days and are not likely to get it again. 

hope that helps

mikeburrows

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 01:03:40 AM »
My Monty had the same thing.  At times it was much worse than the picture I saw poster, maybe 90% of his body.  This went on for a week or more, they would come and go sometimes bad and sometimes not so bad.  We finally narrowed it down to a household insect spray I had used.  Been using it for years but apparently one of the new pups was alergic, the other didn't react at all.  It took a lot of work to figure it out.  We pretty much emptied every room they went in and washed top to bottom, then started adding things back.  Lots of false positives but finally nailed it.  No problems since.  Vet said it shouldn't have any lasting effects.  It is scarey as hell the fist time you see them with all those lumps.

Mike

gabbybear

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 05:56:54 AM »
Could be a reaction to the tic powder but what sort of insects is she eating, do they sting/bite?  They could be stinging her mouth/throat as she eats and swallows them down.....

she eats spiders  ::) which is pretty scary .. mosquitoes , and flies are the common ones

others thanks a lot for notifying me ..it helps a lot :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:59:47 AM by gabbybear »
coming soon

The Boxer Dog Forum

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 05:56:54 AM »