Author Topic: .......................WARNING DO NOT BUY TREATS MADE IN CHINA...............  (Read 23998 times)

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
It's not clear why chicken jerky products seem to be causing illnesses and even deaths in dogs, federal Food and Drug Administration officials say.

Chicken jerky treats may be to blame for dozens of new reports of mysterious illnesses and some deaths in dogs, prompting a renewed warning for pet owners by the Food and Drug Administration.
At least 70 dogs have been sickened so far this year after reportedly eating chicken jerky products imported from China, FDA officials said. That’s up from 54 reports of illness in 2010. Some of the dogs have died, according to the anecdotal reports from pet owners and veterinarians.

FDA officials say they have not been able to find a cause for the illnesses. Extensive chemical and microbiological testing has failed to turn up a specific contaminant and officials did not identify a specific brand of treats. They note that the reports of illness have not conclusively been tied to chicken jerky products, also sold as chicken tenders, chicken strips or chicken treats. 
The new warning follows previous FDA cautions about chicken jerky treats in 2007 and 2008. But after a high of 156 reports of illness in 2007, the number of complaints dropped. Now, it's rising again.
Dog owners and vets are reporting that animals may be stricken with a range of illnesses within days or hours of eating chicken jerky, including kidney failure and Fanconi syndrome, a condition characterized by low glucose.
Symptoms may include decreased appetite, decreased activity, vomiting, diarrhea, increased water consumption and increased urination. If dogs show any of these signs, stop feeding the animal the chicken jerky products, FDA officials said. If signs are severe or persist for more than 24 hours, seek veterinary help.
Most dogs have recovered, officials said.
Illnesses can be reported to the FDA’s Pet Food Complaint site.
Will you change what kind of treats you give your dog?

Chicken jerky treats linked to mystery illnesses, deaths in dogs…

FYI:  http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/21/8885427-chicken-jerky-treats-linked-to-mystery-illnesses-deaths-in-dogs

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 09:17:32 am by Stephanie »
Loved by  Luna & Brandi & Bosco

Forever in my heart Amber, Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila,Koda,Nala

boxorox

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken jerky treats linked to mystery illnesses, deaths in dogs
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 12:49:25 pm »
I saw this on MSN yesterday. So glad I don't feed this stuff!!! I'm getting to a point ( i have been reading up) to where I think I will start making my dogs food just so I know whats in it!

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 12:59:44 pm »
Going  home today and seeing the chicken strips i give my dogs are not from China...

Ginger

• Best of Breed
  • A life without a dog, is not a life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 04:14:56 pm »
I buy NOTHING food related from China for us or our dogs. When this came out a few years ago, I started reading labels more.

Ginger, owned by Maggie Mae, Prissy Lee, Chloe and Rusty. Forever in my heart, Temper, Temper II, Copper, Doc, Ray Charles, Walker and Little Man

lowprofile

• Best of Breed
  • Boxer Rules!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 10:14:02 pm »
I just saw this today, makes you wonder what standards they conform too.
Save a Nub, Rescue a Boxer

grettel

• Junior Boxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 09:55:57 pm »
OMG - I had bought this for my dogs. Guess where just carefully placed them - IN THE GARBAGE.  :91:
Thanks for sharing. I passed the info to my brother-in-law for his dog.
It is so easy to fall in love with a boxer!

butler

• Best of Breed
  • the best life is one you share others
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 10:33:31 pm »
?!?!?! we got bo some of those several weeks ago, he loved them, but they have been going for a month or two now so i am assuming he is fine, but i will still keep an eye on him

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 02:35:47 pm »
I gave these treats to my dogs and chicklet got kidney disease...Now i wonder if this was the cause her being only 1 and a half...I am only going to buy american treats which by the way is harder than it seems,,

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 11:37:21 am »
BUMP

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 09:24:33 am »
I made a formal complaint against the company

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 11:40:48 am »
I would do the same thing - everyone who has had a dog affected by these "death treats" should complain loudly. 

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 09:15:47 am »
So far, the list of brands with treats made in China that are linked to pet illness and deaths are:

◦Waggin Train
 ◦Canyon Creek Ranch
 ◦Dogswell
 ◦Booda Bones – Aspen Pet
 ◦Milo’s Kitchen
 ◦American Kennel Club
 ◦Hartz
 ◦Dingos
 ◦Beefeaters
 ◦Kirkland
 ◦Cadet
 ◦Sargents
 ◦Ever Pet ($$ General)
 ◦Home Pet 360
 ◦Walgreen’s new brand – Simple
 ◦TheKingdomPets

From: http://www.tulsapetsmagazine.com/2012/02/beware-of-chicken-jerky-treats/

This doesn't mean that all other treats are safe!!! you must check the packets to see where it is made.......if it says China, do not buy it.

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
From: http://www.tulsapetsmagazine.com/2012/02/beware-of-chicken-jerky-treats/

If your pet has eaten tainted treats, symptoms may include:

◦Decreased appetite
 ◦Decreased activity
 ◦Vomiting
 ◦Diarrhea
 ◦Increased water consumption
 ◦Increased urination

If your pet is sick and you have been feeding it these treats please report it to the FDA - https://www.safetyreporting.hhs.gov/fpsr/WorkflowLoginIO.aspx?metinstance=AD8482A673EC46C8387E6B8FBA1F46F7E34C2122

For now, pet owners who find the current state of this situation unacceptable are urged by animal advocacy groups to take the following actions.

◦Download the FDA warning here, and print some copies, link here - http://www.yelodoggie.com/FDA_nov11_statement.pdf

◦If you find the products in your store, remove them from the shelf, give them to store managers with a copy of the FDA warning, and ask that the store return the treats to the manufacturer.

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
AT LONG LAST..............Nestlé Purina PetCare Company to voluntarily withdraw Waggin' Train and Canyon Creek Ranch brand dog treat products!!!!

Full report here - http://www.waggintrainbrand.com/index.html

You all still need to be aware of the treats you buy and DO NOT BUY ANY TREATS MADE IN CHINA - check the packaging and if it doesn't say where is comes from - do not buy it!!!!  This goes for those in the UK too.  I was in pets at home before Christmas and was looking at Wainwrights fish treats - on the back of the packet I notice they were produced in China!!!!!