Author Topic: Satin Balls Original Recipe  (Read 7588 times)

boxorox

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
Satin Balls Original Recipe
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:25:11 PM »
Satin Balls - The Original Recipe

The following recipe was sent to Wellpet by Diana Carreon, R.N.,C.  It quickly became one of the most requested posts on Wellpet.

Ingredients

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of unsulfured molasses
10 raw eggs AND shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw!

Ginger

• Best of Breed
  • A life without a dog, is not a life
    • View Profile
Re: Satin Balls Original Recipe
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 05:31:46 PM »
This is the same receipe I used for Maggie Mae when I first got her. She was so skinny I needed to get some weight on her, but she also had stress related colitis.  It worked well, and she loved them!!  I rolled them into golf ball size balls then froze them for about 30-45 minutes before putting them in freezer bags for final freeze. It worked well, I could pull out as many balls as I needed each time and unthaw them for dinner or treats.

Ginger 
Ginger, owned by Walker, Maggie Mae, Little Man, Prissy Lee and Chloe. Forever in my heart, Temper, Temper II, Copper, Doc and Ray Charles

boxorox

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 05:37:40 PM »
I went back thru posts & found this because my girl is a terrible picky eater & she loves these. Of course so do the boys!! Bad thing is - if I feed it for dinner, my smarty pants female catches on so she won't eat her dry kibble becuase she is holding out for Satin Balls. So I give it just as treats. :)

Ginger

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 05:43:02 PM »
I know what you mean! All my dogs had to have a taste, and although I understand you should not feed kibble and raw at the same time, I always felt these were  a bit different since they had so many other ingredients mixed in. I too used them as supplemental treats. All my dogs loved loved them. I wonder if it was the sweet molasses LOL  I did quit using quite as many eggs and shells though... I was worried about bacteria in the raw eggs.

G
Ginger, owned by Walker, Maggie Mae, Little Man, Prissy Lee and Chloe. Forever in my heart, Temper, Temper II, Copper, Doc and Ray Charles

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Ruby & Roddy are 9 years, Jakey 14 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 09:56:08 AM »
I followed this recipe when I first got Ruby, she was such a skinny minny.  She loved them and they sure helped her to put on weight.  :)

.............I did quit using quite as many eggs and shells though... I was worried about bacteria in the raw eggs.
G

My lot all get raw eggs, shells and all 2-3 times a week.  Dogs deal with bacteria very differently to us.....

Their saliva has antibacterial properties; it contains lysozyme, an enzyme that lyses and destroys harmful bacteria. Their short digestive tract is designed to push through food and bacteria quickly without giving bacteria time to colonize. The extremely acidic environment in the gut is also a good bacteria colonization deterrent. People often point to the fact that dogs shed salmonella in their feces (even kibble-fed dogs do this) without showing any ill effects as proof that the dog is infected with salmonella. In reality, all this proves is that the dog has effectively passed the salmonella through its system with no problems. Yes, the dog can act as a salmonella carrier, but the solution is simpleódo not eat dog crap and wash your hands after picking up after your dog.

This link is worth a read too  :)

http://k9joy.com/dogarticles/doghealth01salmonella.pdf

IMG_2047e by Boxerdogmad, on Flickr

Ginger

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »
that is good to know Stephanie, they love eggs... I will start giving them some more now  :dance:

ptcarter

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:22:47 PM »
Hi Guys,
I'd like to use satin balls to help our new foster, Gypsy, gain weight. She is on Fromm kibble (good middle-line, but not great food) since arriving yesterday. Unfortunately, I just can't afford to feed her the high grade grain-free food that Rhino gets. I'm putting extra protein in her food with small amounts of raw meat (a few tablespoons) and supplementing with fish oil as well. 

I know several of you have used satin balls as supplemental food (without going totally raw) to help skinny dogs gain weight. How much of the satin ball mixture did you use daily to do this? BTW, Gypsy is a tiny Boxer - about 18 inches at the shoulder and I don't expect her to be more than about 45-50 lbs when healthy. But she currently weighs just 35 lbs and is skin & bones, with almost no muscle mass.

I don't have a kitchen scale and need to "eyeball" amounts - so give me estimates based on tablespoons or golf balls (thanks Ginger)!

Also, how coarsely/finely do you crunch up the eggshells? Luckily I have a friend with chickens and she's going to give me some nice fresh eggs to make the satin balls with.

Lastly, should I NOT do the satin balls until Gypsy has stabilized from her recent vetting? She just got vaccinated and was de-wormed yesterday. She is also on a 30 day course of doxycycline to prepare for heartworm treatment. I don't want to shock her system too much all at once!

THANKS SO MUCH!

"The Boxer fears neither death nor the devil."

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 04:15:34 AM »
Poor little thing, she has so much going on with her.  I can't help with eyeballing amounts, I use a scale and follow a recipe precisely - lol - I am so pedantic sometimes, plus I haven't made them the past 3 years.  As for the eggshells I grind them using a coffee grinder - so the shells break down to a very fine powder.

There is a thread here, don't know if any info on that helps at all? http://www.boxerdogforums.com/index.php?topic=878.msg6681

I don't see there is any reason not to start her on them straight away.  I would advise you give her a little and see how she goes.  If she hasn't been fed properly she may find it a bit rich to start with although I never had any problems with Ruby.  Look at her poops and judge from them.  I think I gave Ruby 3-4 small golf ball sized lumps every night, she loved them. :)

Ginger

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 07:24:05 AM »
PTCarter, I think you can safely start her on these without any problem with the medication. As Stephanie said watch her stools although she might have some runny ones anyway just from the stress of the worms and her new situation.

On crushing egg shells, I wish I had a coffee grinder like Steph said, so much easier, but I don't so I put the shells in a ziploc bag and smashed them with a meat pounder (or anything you can wack the bag with LOL) and got them fairly small.  I also cut the recipie in half since I did not have a bowl big enough to handle 10 lbs of meat PLUS all the rest.

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 09:51:40 AM »
I mixed the mixture up in a washing up bowl - I know, I know.......... ::) I can't remember now how many balls I got out of it now -  alot! What I did was make them and freeze them in packs of 4.  Every morning, I took a bag out to defrost them ready for her in the evening.  :)

The Boxer Dog Forum

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 09:51:40 AM »