Author Topic: How long should a walk be for a 2 year old Boxer girl?  (Read 7880 times)

gregwendy

• Laila at 23 Months.
    • View Profile
How long should a walk be for a 2 year old Boxer girl?
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:23:23 pm »
I have a 2 year old Boxer bitch who is very lively.

This week I took her on a three mile walk twice with a day in between.
At the end of the second walk she just went into a slow walk, panting heavely, and that was it.
The temp was about 80 (F) and a light cool wind.

The reason for this post is to get your ideas. I know the short face can cause problems but we have walked three miles many times before and today she just had enough.

I really love this Pup and would like to keep her healthy.

Thanks all and looking for your input.
God is Great! Thanks to the Lord for our Boxer breed.

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
Re: How long should a walk be for a 2 year old Boxer girl?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 08:28:56 am »
Is 80 exceptional for where you live? I don't recall seeing an intro post from you.........  Where I live anything over about 74-5 is considered hot and neither my boxers nor the two I walk cope very well in it.  You are right short nosed dogs find it hard to breathe efficiently in the heat.  I watch the weather forecasts and if it is predicted to be hot, I walk the dogs earlier in the morning in a park where there are wooded areas so lots of shade and ponds that they can jump in and cool off.  My boxers walk 2 hours every day and they spend alot of this time playing and running around with other dogs as well as hunting for squirrels. 

I would suggest it was the heat that made her so tired that day, also she might have been very thirsty - did she have anything to drink on the walk?

gregwendy

• Laila at 23 Months.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 08:49:19 am »
Thanks for the response.
Yes,  It is typical for an 80 degree day here.
I think I have taken her too far too many days in a row.
At 2 years old she is still young and needs to build up more stamina.

Then again, as with people, some Pups just have a slow day.

BuddyBoy

• Best of Breed
  • Daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:10:21 pm »
Was it a casual walk or was it more like a forced march? I think Buddy could go nonstop all day so long as he could stop to smell the, uh...roses... every so often. When I keep him in a heel position and go at a quick pace for any distance he will start to get winded, and sometimes will try to tell me he has had enough.. you know, he will stop and look at me as if to say..."Hey, what's the rush!? Can we just stop for a minute? There's this pretty little beagle mix that left me a message over there by the sign post"

Seriously though, I have been told that extended repetitive motion without much variation, such as might be the case with a 3 mile jog, can cause joint problems in young dogs. 2 years is still young, so I would recommend including enough breaks and pace changes to keep it fun and interesting.

gregwendy

• Laila at 23 Months.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 03:49:50 pm »
Thanks and I certainly agree!
And yeah, it was more of a forced march with Laila running about then falling into cadence from time to time.

Just too much and I will certainly take all the great comments under advisement and appreciate them all.

Please don't call the SPCA on me, C:-) I really love my Pup. Just got a little rambunctious as per the length and stride of the walk.

BTW, today she is back to her ole normal zippy self! :dance:

<><
Greg D.

dizzylizzy

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:03:53 pm »
I would try to stick to morning walks like steph mentioned that's what I like to with mine. I notice the cooler it is the more stamina they have and vice versa. Buddyboy where did you here that about the repetitive motion?

BuddyBoy

• Best of Breed
  • Daydreaming
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 01:16:30 pm »
I would try to stick to morning walks like steph mentioned that's what I like to with mine. I notice the cooler it is the more stamina they have and vice versa. Buddyboy where did you here that about the repetitive motion?

ehhh... well, now that you ask that question, it was the same vet who sent me down a trip to hades trying to find a solution to a persistant infection that ultimately made things much much much worse.  We have since clawed our way out and things are finally normal. However, from a biological/structural point of view it made sense that the immature bones and cartilige and joints might not fare too well with excessive repetitive motion (considering that I have personal experience with serious joint problems myself! Some of which are due to excessive wear and tear on the joint)

However, I definitely do not have any studies or data to back up the claim so I may well be wrong.  :o

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 02:50:47 pm »
Seriously though, I have been told that extended repetitive motion without much variation, such as might be the case with a 3 mile jog, can cause joint problems in young dogs. 2 years is still young, so I would recommend including enough breaks and pace changes to keep it fun and interesting.

I also think that if the dog is allowed off-lead so it can determine the pace/speed etc of the walk, this would also help to avoid the concept of Repetitive Stress Syndrome.