Author Topic: Other dog breeds similar to boxers? - no way, right?  (Read 11246 times)

Marisa

• Junior Boxer
    • View Profile
Other dog breeds similar to boxers? - no way, right?
« on: February 23, 2010, 11:53:47 AM »
The characteristics of a boxer's temperament that I see from being around my friends' boxers and being around this community are :
- Fun, funny and a joker:)
- Full of energy
- Friendly, warm and loyal
- Welcoming but also protective

My friend is trying to convince me that Schnauzers have a similar temperament, I really can't think of any other breeds of the top of my head that are even close in temperament though - maybe a Bullmastiff?

Can anyone think of any other breeds similar to a boxer, or is this just silly talk from my friend:)

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Central Illinois General & Maggie
    • View Profile
Re: Other dog breeds similar to boxers? - no way, right?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:55:28 PM »
I think you have to be passionate about your relationship to your dog to fully appreciate the boxer. We are, some are not. We pretty much rotate our daily activities around our companions because we are rewarded by our breed. It means more to us than just a dog for my kids to play with or a sturdy-looking home defender. Our dogs "communicate and interact with us."

Well said!  We too rotate our daily activities around our General.  Not because he is spoiled, because of everything he has given us.  We couldn't be more happy. 

I feel boxers are a breed in themselves.  I've been around quite a few different breeds and honestly I've not seen any better, but maybe there are some out there that I've not seen.  JMHO
The General and Maggie
From Central Illinois

rochele

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 09:56:32 PM »
I grew up with schnawshers and I would say they are definatly not like boxers.  Way more barkey, and not as friendly with everyone.  My parents boxers drive me nuts now, as an adult.
Rochele
owner of Rock, 2yr old boxer

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Ruby & Roddy are 9 years, Jakey 14 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 04:41:37 AM »
I can't comment on schnauzers - I have no experiance of them plus they don't appeal to me - I think the way their hair is cut around their eyes makes them look a bit mean!  As for a dog matching the boxer's temperment - it has to be the Boston Terrier.  Not only do they look like boxers, they behave in a similar fashion too.  They are naturally full fun and energy and the minature ones make great lap dogs.  Here's a link if you're interested [ad runs before main clip]  http://animal.discovery.com/videos/dogs-101-boston-terrier.html

IMG_2047e by Boxerdogmad, on Flickr

ducky

• Junior Boxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:23:26 AM »
You name the breed I have had it at some point in my life from Saint Bernards down to little ankle biter chihuahuas(which i will always have my little 3 lb ankle biter he is great!) But out of all the dogs I have ever owned I would say that the boxers are by far better dogs! The only bad part I have found with them is I cant pack them around like I do my chihuahua or pug but hey they sure think I can still lol!
Owned by Reggie and Layla

Dave B.

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »
The only other dogs I know that are similar to a Boxer in a lot of ways are my friend Pat's two Rottweiller bitches. Maybe it is the way she has brought them up, but they are certainly a lot of fun to be around and are generally as crazy as our two Boxers. It is the only breed I would ever consider having other than Boxers.

The Boxer Dog Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »