Author Topic: Tick Season  (Read 100 times)

Maineac

• Junior Boxer
    • View Profile
Tick Season
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:11:15 PM »
I am wondering what you all use for tick prevention? (My husband says I ask to many questions but I am so HAPPY to chat with other Boxer parents!) :13:

We have used Frontline on CB only about 4 times in 5 years because I hate to use it on her. She has never had fleas but has had a quite a few ticks. Thankfully they are all easy to see and pick off.  She does get the Lyme vaccine but the vaccine isn't available to humans and I know too many people suffering from that horrible illness. She's had 3 ticks on her so far and the snow is still melting!  Going through NY is terrible.
 Has anyone found one product better than the other?
 And do any of you not use anything at all, just pick them off?
 Thanks

Ginger

• Best of Breed
  • A life without a dog, is not a life
    • View Profile
Re: Tick Season
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:43:24 PM »
ticks are horrible in Oklahoma so we also use Frontline and treat our yard and trees.  I, like you, don't use it except during the spring and winter.  I think there is also a pill form that treats ticks, fleas and mosquitoes but I cannot remember the name of it. Sam and I have both pulled ticks off of ourselves, but so far only found 1 on Maggie Mae and none on the other fur kids. 
Ginger, owned by Maggie Mae, Prissy Lee, Chloe and Rusty. Forever in my heart, Temper, Temper II, Copper, Doc, Ray Charles, Walker and Little Man

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Central Illinois Maggie and Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 06:00:55 PM »
We use the Frontline Plus but only Spring through Fall.  We've never seen a flea nor a tick.  Except for a tick that was walking on Larry while we were camping.  Totally freaked me out.  I hate ticks.

When I was young, it didn't bother me at all.  I would pick the big ticks off of my Aunt and Uncle's bird dog.  Eewwww.   :sign0137:

When Major was younger, the Vet gave him an edible sample for fleas and ticks.  NexGard.  We might go for that this year.  We're out of Frontline. 
Maggie & Major

RIP  The General

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 07:11:07 PM »
By the way, you can ask any kind or any amount of questions that you want to.   :victory:
Maggie & Major

RIP  The General

grkline

• Best of Breed
  • content with progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 07:16:37 AM »
never too many questions , well , unless I'm going to bed then it can wait till morning...lol.. I don't us it here in AZ. I found 2 ticks on Bailey in 5 years so we don't use it . For as much lovin as these guys get here , the bugs wouldn't be on them for long.

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 07:57:28 AM »
We wouldn't use it either except that we go camping and sometimes there's woods close by or else we're in the woods. 

grkline quote:  "For as much lovin as these guys get here , the bugs wouldn't be on them for long."

I couldn't agree with you any more!  These Boxers sure have it rough.   :67: :86:
Maggie & Major

RIP  The General

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 08:03:52 AM »
Frontline plus but i only use it maybe 3 times a year..We dont have a big tick problem and have never seen one on one of the dogs..I have a reaction to that stuff if the dogs get in on me
Loved by  Luna & Brandi

Forever in my heart Amber, Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila,Koda,Nala

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Ruby is 11 years young
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 10:33:20 AM »
I am so lucky in that we don't have a big problem with ticks in my area and if we did I personally wouldn't use anything vet prescribed or commercial.  I would continue the way I have for years and that is going through my dogs coat every single time she comes back from a walk in the woods and parks and checking for fleas and ticks.  I have a tick pick and if I find one, I spin it off.  Fleas get combed out with a nit comb and drowned down the toilet.  If you are interested in more natural based things - neem, lemon spray, lavender etc are rated by some people - I tried all of them in the past but came to the conclusion that simply checking them every single day is the best solution for us.  Here's a link on lavender and lemon mixture from 2014 - http://www.boxerdogforums.com/index.php?topic=13722.0

Maineac

• Junior Boxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 11:47:26 AM »
Thanks to all for responding.  :88:
Ticks in the NE are terrible, especially ME, NH, CT and NY. They are so small, one we just picked off her was the size of a dot (.)  Those are the ones that carry Lyme Disease.
 Like I mentioned previously we have hardly ever used a tick prevention because we hate to put it on her. Even more so now since her surgery and she had 3 head tremor episodes which we think are from the meds. (She has one more day of weaning from Trazadone 1/2 tab,  and than no more meds) We also spend a lot of time in the woods but they are so bad out here that they are literally everywhere! Our vet suggested Bravecto but we are leary that any preventative could cause the head tremors to start up again. Thank goodness Boxers have short hair and these things are easier to see than on long haired dogs. We like going out West since she never gets a tick on her or us. In Texas I found a tick on me with a white dot on it, looked it up and I guess it was a Lone Star tick. Yuck! They carry so much illness, it's so scary.