Author Topic: Anal Glands  (Read 4046 times)

Krup630

• Champion
  • Love my Gator!!!
    • View Profile
Anal Glands
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:24:04 PM »
Hi everyone havent been on in a bit as been busy working :( ...took Gator for his 16 week visit to the vet for his rabies shot, and she said his anal glands were swallon and needed to be squeezed, I never heard of this and she showed me how to do it, is this a common problem or just a unique situation?? Has anyone had anyone else had to do this?? Besides that Gator is now 31lbs and sweet as ever :) Love my boy :)

butler

• Best of Breed
  • the best life is one you share others
    • View Profile
Re: Anal Glands
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 08:27:36 PM »
its very normal. havent had to do it for bo yet but when i was younger we had a bulldog that needed it done a couple times a year, i actually even learned to do it myself,.. very icky. but better then letting it go and get infected.... 31 lbs, hes going to be a big boy!!

ptcarter

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 06:20:01 AM »
Yes, VERY normal. Some breeds/dogs are more or less prone to it. Aside from the "ick" factor you have nothing to worry about. Sometimes when you see a dog dragging his/her behind on the carpet, they are trying to express the glands themselves. Also, the groomers at Petsmart/PetCo will squeeze anal glands and they don't charge much. Just in case you're not into doing it yourself at home...

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Ruby & Roddy are 8 years, Jakey 13 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »
I used to work in a pet grooming parlour and that was one of the things we did regularly for all breeds of dogs.  I do my collie x's glands every 3 months or so.  Ruby naturally expresses her own through her bowel movements, and Roddy, well, there is no way on earth I am going to even try and do his......he isn't very obliging when it comes to 'doing' things to him.

I am glad you got shown how to do it properly - it's really easy to do yourself.  I do Jakeys in the bath tub so I can rinse him down and rinse the mess away afterwards.  It does stink though doesn't it?

IMG_3065 by Boxerdogmad, on Flickr

judacious

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
Jasper had to have his done at about 3 to 4 months but hasnt had a issue with it since must be doing it natural now. in wich i am very happy about :)
Jasper 5/21/2010 floppy/docked

Ginger

• Best of Breed
  • A life without a dog, is not a life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:24:31 AM »
How do you know when it needs to be done? Are there signs besides scooting on the floor?  Is it just a male thing or do females also have the problem?   I am clueless about this, but I know the vet did Little Mans ( my rat terrier) when he was neutured and I assumed it was a guy thing. 

Ginger       
Ginger, owned by Walker, Maggie Mae, Little Man, Prissy Lee and Chloe. Forever in my heart, Temper, Temper II, Copper, Doc and Ray Charles

judacious

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 10:07:57 AM »
my vet said it is more often found in small dogs but can happen in larger breads. sometimes it can be a once and a great while thing and sometimes it can be cronic. but i guess they rub butt on ground and may have swollen areas around butthole i didnt see any of that with jasper but they told me they expressed them. i think the taste of the wild im feeding him lets them expess better it was when i was feeding him puppy chow that they were needing expressed.
Jasper 5/21/2010 floppy/docked

Krup630

• Champion
  • Love my Gator!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 12:04:53 PM »
I dont know how to tell when it needs to be done the vet asked me if he rubs his butt on the ground, but Gator has never done that, then she was like does he chase his tail, well he's always doing that :) so I showed my boyfriend what the vet said on how to do it and left the room.....I love my baby but his butt sure does stink ;D

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »
I had a doberman once I had to do this..It is easy but smelly...I also squeeze them in the tub...
Loved by  Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber, Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

Rhea

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 10:52:53 PM »
I have never expressed an anal gland but I know females have the same issues Ginger.  They all have them.  From what I have been told (by the vet) is that when they rub or scrub on the floor, it's a sign they need theirs "expressed" (squeezed, and ewwwwwwwwwwwwww)  I've been told the smell is akin to "Pe- ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww"

Which has left me with choices :

(a) don't do it
(b) have somebody else do it
(c) have somebody else do it and run
Forever in my heart, Mikey boy 7/12/10 - 9/20/11

Ginger

• Best of Breed
  • A life without a dog, is not a life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 08:40:21 AM »
MM, I like all three choices!!  Thanks for the info on females. I always associated butt scooting with worms, but now I will have to make sure it is not anal glands, and if it is..... To the groomer or vet we go!

Ginger 
Ginger, owned by Walker, Maggie Mae, Little Man, Prissy Lee and Chloe. Forever in my heart, Temper, Temper II, Copper, Doc and Ray Charles

The Boxer Dog Forum

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 08:40:21 AM »