Author Topic: Adult Female and new pup female.. will they fight when puppy gets older  (Read 4913 times)

thealpha

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
So i have a 7 year old female boxer  and i have a 3 month old female boxer. They get along well, besides Sadey ( adult boxer) putting the new pup in line every now and then. But i researched after i got the pup after female and female.. Some websites say they will most definitly fight. But is there a chance they wont? I did not know  this was an issue to worry about till after the fact. But i am a strong leader to my adult. She listens to every command.. very well behaved. I want to think with that.. i can almost stop the fight if it occurs. What do you think?
Sadey and Bellas Fan Club director

butler

• Best of Breed
  • the best life is one you share others
    • View Profile
Re: Adult Female and new pup female.. will they fight when puppy gets older
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »
there is a chance that they will not fight, but to reduce the risk even more one or both of them should get fixed.. lowering the hormones is suposed to help with aggression. but even if you dont that doesnt mean that they will definitely fight, being a strong leader will help with that too.

jfinck

• Champion
  • ROxy after a long day playing in the snow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 07:29:19 PM »
I need you to come help me become a strong pack leader to my two dogs. Our senior dog who is 10lbs growls at our boxer pup who is 8mths old. It mainly happen when the older dog is on one of our laps and roxy the boxer pushes her why in for attension. I put ruffles down am I doing the correct thing. Ruffles  is 7yrs old and just torlates  Roxy they will never be close sisters due to waiting so long in getting roxy. we wher not going to get another dog however when we saw the boxers pup we could not turn away from her and she was gavin to us.

thealpha

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 07:37:27 PM »
By putting the older dog down, i think you did the right thing. You are saying thats not ok, and now you get no attention. As sadie has gotten along with other dogs, it was a different story when i brought the new pup in. Because now the pup was in her territory shareing her treats or mom . Sadie did not want the pup to sit with her, lay with her, eat food from THE PUPPYS BOWL. She became aggressive and possessive. Every time that i saw this behavior happen, i would correct her. Took about 2 weeks everyday and every time it would happen. Because sadey wasnt used to a pup shareing her space. Though she still corrects the pup, if the pup annoys her while shes sleeping or is annoying her period. I let her correct her as long it doesnt get dangerous. She also get jealous of the new pup and when she does i simply get up and no one gets my attention. sadey is spayed and i plan on spaying bella when she reaches 6 months. So hopefull it will work out.

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 11:58:46 AM »
I had three female boxers at one time and never had a fight...If the puppy got out of hand they put her in her place but htey all got along food and bone wise..I now have 2 female boxers and no trouble.
Loved by  Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber, Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

thealpha

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 04:25:17 PM »
So they get along well, with not problems? Thats great. Gives me a hope that it is possible. Makes me feel better.  ;D

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »
My daughter has three boxers 2 female and one male and no problems neither...My son has a female boxer and she is always over my house and no trouble with her neither...I have heard the same thing though about 2 females..When Tequila goes I will look into getting another female boxer also
Loved by  Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber, Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

thealpha

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 09:32:19 PM »
Wow! 2 female boxers and 1 male together and they get along. Thats great! usually 2 females and 1 male usually there is conflict. The websites that were saying that 2 females together would end in disaster, sent me horrified. I thought what am i going to do? So that makes me feel so much better. Sadey my older dog is a really great dog, so i to think it will be fine, especially after reading your posts.. Thank you for shareing that with me. ( im wipeing the sweat off my forehead as we speak :) 

sem977

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 10:16:18 PM »
My fiances parents had two female littermates and then bought another male, they acted really motherly towards him even now when he is 9. They played alot of tug of war when they were younger but they don't fight and they are pretty relaxed boxers.

delly1971

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 05:00:10 AM »
i have 2 females...no problems x asti was 5 when we got boo, took her a couple of days to get used to her but after that, best of friends x p.s both of mine are fixed x
r.i.p asti 29.07.02 - 04.09.11 x

smallpiper

• Best of Breed
  • Love my Hanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 08:19:38 AM »
I had two other females, a while ago (not boxers) Lady (Cocker spaniel mix, from a shelter) was 4 when we got Patches (beagle and german shep mix, also a rescue).  At first Patches as a puppy bothered and pested Lady like crazy, but she corrected her with a growl and snap, but no bites.  After Patches grew bigger than Lady, Patches was the alpha dog and would growl a little if Lady was in her favorite napping place, and Lady would politely move to another spot.  Never any fights though.  They knew I was the real leader of the pack.
Dogs and kids... a natural combination....

thealpha

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 09:54:33 AM »
so patches took the alpha role? Ive never seen the roles switch. How interesting. Yeah my adult dog corrected my new pup at first alot.. She took more control than she needed too. But like you said it was a growl and snap. Never a bite. They get along great now, sadey still corrects bella when she gets to hyper with her. One of the websites said that female dogs can get along great than one day they can all of a sudden fight and have to be seperated forever.  Sadeys tempermant is awesome so i would think it would be out of her character for that to happen. Now the new pup its hard to tell how shell be when shes an adult, so far shes good besides the typical puppy personality.

smallpiper

• Best of Breed
  • Love my Hanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 04:25:21 PM »
Patches was the more obedient of the two, and frankly a lot smarter.  I think that's why the roles reversed.  Patches took over at about 8 months old. 
Dogs and kids... a natural combination....

Ginger

• Best of Breed
  • A life without a dog, is not a life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 02:06:56 PM »
Mine fought, but not life or death kind of fighting. One would get pissed at the other, or the oldest showing dominence.  Most of the time they got along just fine. 

I have two rat terrier females who did have a bit of an adjustment as the oldest is a rescue and she came to the house when my youngest female was a little over a year old.  They worked it out and both share equally and get along just fine.  Occassional growling but no fighting. 

Let them work it out as much as you can, but of course stop them if there is blood!

Ginger
Ginger, owned by Walker, Maggie Mae, Little Man, Prissy Lee and Chloe. Forever in my heart, Temper, Temper II, Copper, Doc and Ray Charles

thealpha

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 03:52:08 PM »
thank you Ginger  :))   

The Boxer Dog Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 03:52:08 PM »