Author Topic: Issues introducing new boxer puppy to adult boxer... Help!  (Read 2496 times)

Egeirn

• View Profile
Issues introducing new boxer puppy to adult boxer... Help!
« on: September 01, 2015, 09:42:14 am »
Hope I'm posting in the right place... We have a 7 year old intact male boxer and have just bought an 8 week old male boxer. Our 7 yr old has had hardly any interaction with other dogs due to his forceful nature & general over exuberance, so we're struggling trying to get him to act appropriately around the puppy. It all starts off ok, we have Cooper (the adult) harnessed and on a lead so that we can pull him back if necessary and Henry (pup) is on the floor. They initially sniff each other with no problems but then Henry growls and snaps at cooper. Coopers reaction is to swipe him with his paw and push his face into Henry very forcefully. I understand that he's trying to correct him, but I think he's being overly rough. When I then try to pull cooper away he has to literally be dragged into another room. Really need some advice on this  :(

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
Re: Issues introducing new boxer puppy to adult boxer... Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 09:57:50 am »
Just wondering why you decided on getting another male boxer knowing your boxer now has no interaction with other dogs..I am surprised the breeder did not suggest a female..
Loved by  Luna & Brandi & Bosco

Forever in my heart Amber, Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila,Koda,Nala

Ginger

• Best of Breed
  • A life without a dog, is not a life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:04:46 am »
Is letting them be together without Cooper being on a leash possible?  The pup is very young at 8 weeks, and truthfully has not learned to socialize with other dogs yet.  Your older male would be helpful in teaching the pup some manners and proper behavior.  Most males won't bother pups too much, they know they are babies.  Also, if you are nervous and stressful when they get together, the older dog will for sure pick up on that.  Maybe short periods of time together where you can keep an eye on them, but not have a leash or restraint.  If they get seriously hateful with each other, then step in, but generally foot play won't hurt the pup.

Good luck!   
Ginger, owned by Maggie Mae, Prissy Lee, Chloe and Rusty. Forever in my heart, Temper, Temper II, Copper, Doc, Ray Charles, Walker and Little Man

Egeirn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 10:10:39 am »
Eilene; because he's not been neutered I would have presumed that a female dog would have meant puppies at some point; I was under the impression that a bitch had to have her first season prior to bring neutered.

Ginger; thanks so much for your advice, just terrified of him getting hurt because he's so small. Cooper isn't leashed all the time but we still have to pull him back using his harness each time they're in contact..

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 10:31:37 am »
Good luck and hoping things work out..I have luna who does not like other dogs even though i had 3 othe rboxers..Dont know what i will do when i decide to get another puppy but i am sure it will work out..

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Central Illinois Maggie and Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 04:13:40 pm »
Try not to baby the puppy.  Specially around your older Boxer.  Treat them as equals and he will treat the new pup as equal.  I would let him go without a lead.  Has the puppy yelped with pain from him pushing, hitting him?  IF not, he's not being hurt.  You big boy can teach manners as stated by Ginger. 

We have a big boy too and when we brought our little girl home, we gave them equal loving.  One gets a kiss, the other gets a kiss.  One gets a "Good boy" the other got "Good girl" and so on.  One gets a treat, the other gets one.  We do this till this day and there's not been one growl or mean bone in either of them.  They are best of friends and even play tag team when wanting something from us.

Good luck with the pup.  Just take it slow and don't over act.  They can sense your fear, nerves, emotions, etc. 

Pictures would be great!!!! 
Maggie May 07/04/2010     Major Lee  02/22/2016

RIP  The General  02/04/2008 - 03/05/2016  You will always be in our hearts Big Boy!

proud grandma

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 09:49:20 am »
     Take the lead off and relax.  Do monitor them in these early days.  Soon they will be best buds.  I have had numerous adults and puppies in the house and never has a puppy been chomped in half.  I know it's scary.  But honestly let the puppy be a puppy and annoy the big one and be corrected.  They will both learn social skills from this experience.
Good luck!  Yeah, pictures would be great.
Never expect to teach a dog more than he can teach you

maggiepeanut

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 10:32:22 am »
Rosie was three when we got Daisy. Rosie let her know who was boss, nuzzling her, rolling her over, etc. We never let them alone together for the first couple of months. Both are crated during the day, their crates are next to one another. Just be patient. Like Nancy said, treat them equally, kiss for one and kiss for the other. Good luck. It's a blast with two of them.

Egeirn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 01:16:32 pm »
Quick update, things are getting better slowly but the general ongoing issue is that cooper will not allow Henry to walk around at all without standing over him, on him and generally bullying him. While he is sleeping he'll leave him to sleep, but thats the only time. We've had yelps of pain when cooper holds him down on the floor so we allow Henry to go into his crate and close the door so he feels safe, hoping this helps with the crate training too! I've attached photos, obviously not of them together... Yet!

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 01:22:04 pm »
Thanks for the update...Adorable boxers you have..

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 03:42:03 pm »
Is he "bullying" him or trying to tell him "No"?  There's a big difference.  Is he yelping in pain or from fear? 

He's a little cutie and Cooper is quite handsome.  Will you neuter Henry? 

RIP  The General  02/04/2008 - 03/05/2016  You will always be in our hearts Big Boy!

Egeirn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 12:45:15 am »
This is the problem; I'm not sure whether it's fear or pain, he does want to carry on playing with cooper after they've had some time apart so I suppose he can't be hurting him that much? Yes, we will definitely be neutering this time!

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 07:56:29 am »
LOL, if he's going back for more, he's not hurting.   :great: