Author Topic: A very bad week.....  (Read 2673 times)

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
A very bad week.....
« on: August 28, 2015, 04:40:09 pm »
First of all it has rained and rained and rained everyday this week apart from today and I have got soaked on every dog walk going...  It rained so hard that our guttering couldn't cope so the water started running down the side of the house and then inside the walls of our house.  The water got into the central heating system and tripped the electric..... so we had no power either..   It's all dried out now, but oh my gosh...

Then, I had a new dog walk.............oh my days.............never in my life have I met a dog like this before.   I don't know what to say.  I met both owners, walked the dog with them twice and on both occasions the dog was pretty well behaved.  The female owner said she never lets him off lead other than in the enclosed basket ball courts where she plays ball for him, the male owner lets him off in confined areas and uses his ball to get him back.  OK, so I have walked him a couple of times and decided I would take him to the enclosed basket ball courts and let him off to play fetch....   We had a great game and then it was time to go home................yeah right..... all I can say is, it took me 25 minutes to get his lead back on him and trust me I tried every trick and treat in the book but this dog was smart enough to know that if his lead went on, game over...  I only managed to catch him by luck.  Suffice to say, he will not be coming off lead anywhere with me again for a very, very long time.........

Next, we had a raw meat order of rabbits and venison meat due for delivery Thursday, and only half the order turned up!! Somehow the third box got separated at the sorting office...  ???  and it got held there an extra day....  Can't understand how that happened because it is clear on the box that it an express next day delivery that is supposed to arrive by 12 noon.  So half the meat order turned up, which meant we had to set the grinder up etc just to do part of the order.....so annoying....  The next day the rest of the order turned up and guess what - it had started going off and was smelling.  No surprise really, being 48 hours out of the fridge.  Luckily the company we have ordered from have agreed to send out replacements for the meat at no extra charge, but we still have to go through the bother of setting up the grinder and everything all over again next week when that comes.

Lastly, as you know I have no end of problems with my laptop and this week that finally died... so I am now using our back-up laptop that is older than the one that has perished!  We are trying to sort out a new one but what with everything else going on, there just hasn't been the time.

Still, we survived and we have our health, so I must be grateful and thank God for that, but I am hoping for a calmer week next week.  I hope you all had a better week and here's wishing you all a great weekend!

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Central Illinois Maggie and Major
    • View Profile
Re: A very bad week.....
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 05:46:59 pm »
My goodness Stephanie, you've had one heck of a bad week for sure.  Please send some of your rain our way.  We've got huge cracks in the ground from being so dry.  We're hoping for rain soon. 

I am picturing you chasing and pleading with that dog to come to you and you pulling all your tricks and treats out to no avail.  Look on the bright side, that dog isn't yours.   ;D  You know not to let that wild child loose again. 

Then what an ordeal with the postal delivery.  Eeww, I can only imagine the smell of bad meat.  You poor thing.  That's about the worst smell.  Thank goodness that the company is going to make it good for you.  As for the grinder assembly, it's just a little bump in the road.  It could have turned out really nasty and you would have had to pay for another shipment. 

Computers are a big headache.  We love them when they work and hate them when they don't.  We're so spoiled. 

I hope you have a better weekend and week.  I don't think it could get any worse for you.  ((HUGS))  Too bad we don't live closer, we could have a grinding party! 
Maggie May 07/04/2010     Major Lee  02/22/2016

RIP  The General  02/04/2008 - 03/05/2016  You will always be in our hearts Big Boy!

maggiepeanut

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 10:44:03 pm »
Yep i believe that would qualify for a  very bad week. Sorry about the rain getting in your house,. Our basement flooded last year and what a mess. Luckily is didn't get into the heating system. And your new client sound like a little conniving one. I'm sure you will get him into shape soon.
Glad to know our postal system isn't the only one messed up.  Sorry about your computer. i swear they are set to crash when you have the most going on or you really need it. At least you have the old one for a back up.
Keep looking up, Fall is coming, cool weather, leaves changing.  Have a quiet, relaxing weekend! (You deserve it after this week)

proud grandma

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 08:54:24 am »
     What a bad week.  Seems like when it rains it pours!  ::)  Sorry, couldn't resist.  >:D  What an ordeal with the rain and heating system--always something plus the inconvenience of no power.  Have the rainy days let up now?
     As far as that little hooligan; Theodore went thru a stage where he didn't want to go home or wouldn't come into the house.  We've bee there trying to catch a dog.  Finally we just started leaving his lead on but letting him run and play.  Since he was in a confined area no dangers of him taking off with a lead to trap him somewhere.  When it was time to go we could get close enough to step on his lead and get him.  Thankfully he got over that phase.
     Good thing the food company is going to replace the spoiled meat.  Setting up the grinder may be a pain but the dogs will have their supper.
     Here's to a better week my friend!!
Never expect to teach a dog more than he can teach you

Ginger

• Best of Breed
  • A life without a dog, is not a life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 10:14:25 am »
Man, I'm sorry you had such a bad week Stephanie.  Maybe all the bad is behind now and good to come ;D Take care of yourself!   
Ginger, owned by Maggie Mae, Prissy Lee, Chloe and Rusty. Forever in my heart, Temper, Temper II, Copper, Doc, Ray Charles, Walker and Little Man

grkline

• Best of Breed
  • content with progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 08:24:07 am »
Feel bad ypu had a bad week , maybe the storm before the calm of life ,yes ,maybe 

Skunkape

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 10:19:42 am »
Yes it sounds like a bad week end. Did you walk Anna? She is the same way when she lets loose at the dog park. I have to sneak up on her while she is interacting with another dog or human. But it's been a seriously long time since they've been to a dog park. Now that I have a nice lawn, I don't feel inclined to take them to the park where they share their water with 20-30 other dogs.

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 08:26:09 am »
Wow hoping things are going to get better this week..
Loved by  Luna & Brandi & Bosco

Forever in my heart Amber, Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila,Koda,Nala

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 04:33:07 pm »
My goodness Stephanie, you've had one heck of a bad week for sure.  Please send some of your rain our way.  We've got huge cracks in the ground from being so dry.  We're hoping for rain soon. 

I am sorry to read that Nancy, I really wish I could send some rain your way, it has rained on and off all this past weekend and today too.  We are mightily fed-up with it here :(

I am picturing you chasing and pleading with that dog to come to you and you pulling all your tricks and treats out to no avail.  Look on the bright side, that dog isn't yours.   ;D

Yep, that is one way of looking at it for sure!  :) 

Then what an ordeal with the postal delivery.  Eeww, I can only imagine the smell of bad meat.  You poor thing.  That's about the worst smell.  Thank goodness that the company is going to make it good for you.  As for the grinder assembly, it's just a little bump in the road.  It could have turned out really nasty and you would have had to pay for another shipment. 

I hope you have a better weekend and week.  I don't think it could get any worse for you.  ((HUGS))  Too bad we don't live closer, we could have a grinding party!

As you know Nancy, I don't even like touching meat and then to have a load of meat delivered that was on the turn....  :sign0137: .....We had to bag it up in rubbish sacks and then poor Graham had to drive it the rubbish tip...  It could be worse like you say and the company could refuse to replace the items, but we are good customers and spend quite abit of money with them over the course of a year so it wouldn't make sense for them to upset us, as we would just look to buy elsewhere.  The grinder is a nuisance Nancy it is so heavy to move it out along the table, the parts are real heavy too.  We have to clear everything off the table first as well as I have to hack the meat up first... and the cleaning up takes forever...  Honestly, it is such a pain having to do it all again so soon, but never mind. 

A grinding party would be fun - what grinder have you got?

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 04:48:58 pm »
Glad to know our postal system isn't the only one messed up......
Keep looking up, Fall is coming, cool weather, leaves changing.  Have a quiet, relaxing weekend! (You deserve it after this week)

Thanks maggiepeanut... The weekend was wet but unremarkable thank goodness.  The postal service here is getting worse.  A couple of months back we were expecting another raw food order.  We know it was put on the delivery van at 8am in the morning, [we have a tracking number so we can check] and guess what? they took it back to the depot at 6pm that night..... :o  I phoned up and complained and said it was raw food and it even says it on the box!! plus again we paid extra for early day delivery...  At least this depot was only a 30-40 minute drive away so we could drive out to pick that order up.  This meat order never even made it to the depot!!! It got left in some holding hub in Coventry - some 100 miles away..... 

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 04:59:07 pm »

As far as that little hooligan; Theodore went thru a stage where he didn't want to go home or wouldn't come into the house.  We've bee there trying to catch a dog.  Finally we just started leaving his lead on but letting him run and play.  Since he was in a confined area no dangers of him taking off with a lead to trap him somewhere.  When it was time to go we could get close enough to step on his lead and get him.  Thankfully he got over that phase.

Here's to a better week my friend!!

Thanks proud grandma!  He is a hooligan you got that right  ;D  He has just turned 2 years so he is testing boundaries and being defiant, I understand that.  I did think about leaving a trailing line on him in the tennis court but there are 2 issues going on with him.  First is catching him and then it's getting his head harness back on him again.  He leaps around and jumps about and tries to avoid it anyway he can.  Don't get me wrong, he walks beautifully in his head harness from his house to the park and I have no trouble putting the harness on him in his house at all ............it's just getting it back on afterwards that creates drama... Nope, he is staying in his harness and he will be stuck walking right next to me until he grows out of this stage.....

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 05:00:37 pm »
Man, I'm sorry you had such a bad week Stephanie.  Maybe all the bad is behind now and good to come ;D Take care of yourself!

Thanks Ginger!

Feel bad ypu had a bad week , maybe the storm before the calm of life ,yes ,maybe

Here's hoping grkline!

Wow hoping things are going to get better this week..

Thanks Eilene!

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 05:06:42 pm »
Yes it sounds like a bad week end. Did you walk Anna? She is the same way when she lets loose at the dog park. I have to sneak up on her while she is interacting with another dog or human. But it's been a seriously long time since they've been to a dog park. Now that I have a nice lawn, I don't feel inclined to take them to the park where they share their water with 20-30 other dogs.

This dog has no lawn or proper garden to run around in, just a small concrete back area so I thought ok well this is walk 5 and he has been pretty well behaved, let's see how he goes off lead in the enclosed courts......  There are no municipal water troughs here for dogs, you either have to carry your own water for your own dogs or they go without.  At the moment there is plenty of puddle water around though...

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Central Illinois Maggie and Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 08:04:29 pm »
We're still hurting for rain.  Our gardens are dying and the vegetables are about done for.  I have managed to can about a total of 8 gallons of pickles and a lot of tomato sauce and juice.  My son in-law can eat the pickles like they're candy.  The yards still look nice and green from all the morning dew we've had the past few weeks.  Yes, it's awful humid too. 

I've got the Weston 22 grinder along with my little KitchenAid stand mixer attachment.  I use the KitchenAid stand mixer attachment for small jobs.  In fact, I'll be using the big grinder tomorrow to grind about 10 lbs. of beef for hamburger.  I can do that in about 5 minutes with easy clean up.  What kind do you have? I remember it was a massive grinder.  See, we could have a grinding party.  :-) 

Do you wear gloves when you do the meat?  I think I would invest in a case of disposable gloves if I were you.  I use mine all the time.   

Maggie May 07/04/2010     Major Lee  02/22/2016

RIP  The General  02/04/2008 - 03/05/2016  You will always be in our hearts Big Boy!

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 09:06:31 am »
Stepahnie I am surprised you can even grind the meat being a vegetrian.  I can even pull chicken off the bone with out gagging..

Hoping things have got better there
Loved by  Luna & Brandi & Bosco

Forever in my heart Amber, Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila,Koda,Nala