Author Topic: My dog ate a plastic bag  (Read 6738 times)

MosaicMom

• View Profile
My dog ate a plastic bag
« on: December 27, 2010, 01:15:02 PM »
more than 3 days ago, my 9 year old swallowed (whole) a plastic bag that had held strained yogurt (that's how it is sold in the market). He hasn't passed it yet and while it hasn't affected his appetite, he doesn't seem to be himself today. his nose is warm and dry. the nearest vet hospital is over 5 hours away and the local vet can't operate. we're giving him liquid laxative and antibiotic. what else can i do to help him pass this object?

smallpiper

• Best of Breed
  • Love my Hanna
    • View Profile
Re: My dog ate a plastic bag
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 02:04:13 PM »
I'd be on my way to the vet if it were me.  Even if it meant an overnight stay at a nearby motel.  Why take the chance, and how will  you determine its time to begin a long drive like that.  If its been 3 days, its already taking too long to pass through.  Best of luck what ever you decide.
Dogs and kids... a natural combination....

MosaicMom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 02:19:38 PM »
Okay...since i'm new to this forum, i should tell you that i'm an expat living in very rural western Turkey. Vets are few and far between. Most don't know much about dogs (they are farm-vets for the most part..sheep, cows, etc.).
The one vet i've been using IS a 'small pet' vet but i'm not sure she can operate on Rudy. I'm not thrilled with the method of anesthesia used here - no gas only drugs...and yes, i know about what NOT to use on boxers. It's winter here and 5 hours is over mountain roads...and hotels DON'T accept dogs, not in this country anyway. He's still eating but I think as of tomorrow, i'm going to put him on just liquids for 24 hours to see what happens. He's pooping but i don't think it's 'normal' poos....could be the laxative or olive oil is having an effect. the fact that he's still passing food
has to be better than nothing at all...i'll keep watching him closely and take him to my vet on wednesday if not sooner. except for his warm nose and sneezing, he seems fine...this was my Parvo puppy, 9 years ago...you'd never know it...he's about 85 pounds and still acts like a puppy! he's also the love of my life...i have one other pure boxer and a 1/2 boxer with 3 legs...she's my rescue dog. I have my fingers crossed. It's tough living so far from good vet care...are there any vets on this list with some other suggestions for me? I just wish I knew what to do because I feel as if I'm just trying everything and that's not good either. thanks all...appreciate your efforts...

smallpiper

• Best of Breed
  • Love my Hanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 02:54:07 PM »
Wow, you are in tough circumstances there.  I had not idea you were so far away and in such awkward conditions for vet access.  I hope all  you tried will work.  there is a lot of dog information on the WebMd site under the pet section. and there may be an "ask a vet" section where you can get e-mail advice.  There are other "ask a vet" sites you need to use a credit card for on the web.  We will pray for him, and hope it passes soon.
My sister's doberman used to eat the kids socks whole, and pass them whole in a day or two.  yucky.  but they always went through.  He lived to a ripe old age of 14. 
best of luck. 

MosaicMom

• View Profile
HOOOORAY!!!!! Re: My dog ate a plastic bag
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 03:24:14 PM »
Amazingly...Rudy just barfed up the WHOLE BAG!! it's almost 10:30pm here and I'm so happy I just want to dance!! What a relief! for both Rudy and me!
A friend in California, another boxer owner, said that it might still be in his stomach...i doubted it but NOW!! well...i want to thank all of your for your kind words and prayers... Rudy the miracle boxer is going to be fine, i'm sure. i'll continue the antibiotics for 3-4 more days just because i know it's a mistake to stop too soon. I can stop the laxatives though! PHEW! this is a post-holiday miracle! I'm incredibly relieved! thanks again!

Scout-Gunners Momma

• Best of Breed
  • Gotta love boxers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 04:12:07 PM »
Great news!  I'm so glad it worked out ok  :)
Scout & Gunner's Momma

If forced to choose between romantic love and my boxer, I'd surely choose my boxer :)

[

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Ruby & Roddy are 9 years, Jakey 14 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 04:26:06 PM »
Phew, I am glad to read that the problem is no more.  Welcome to the forum by the way, it would be great to see some pictures of Rudy any your other boxers too?

IMG_2047e by Boxerdogmad, on Flickr

MosaicMom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 04:41:19 PM »
you may be sorry you asked!! here's my flickr site. you can see my dogs, my cottage, my environment and some of my mosaic and stained glass projects. i have 4 full time dogs and a dog on loan...she goes back tomorrow! oh...and a cat. and all i wanted was One Boxer! but like potato chips...who can have just one, right???
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9500415@N04/

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Ruby & Roddy are 9 years, Jakey 14 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 04:55:27 PM »
you may be sorry you asked!! here's my flickr site. you can see my dogs, my cottage, my environment and some of my mosaic and stained glass projects.

WOW - your dogs are gorgeous - and so are your mosaics - just beautiful!

IMG_2047e by Boxerdogmad, on Flickr

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Central Illinois General & Maggie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 05:48:03 PM »
I am so glad to hear the good news.  Yea for Rudy.  Hope he doesn't try that again.  Great pictures too. 
The General and Maggie
From Central Illinois

smallpiper

• Best of Breed
  • Love my Hanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 07:17:43 PM »
Yahoo!  That is the best news..... really happy for you both.  How wonderful that it came up, totally!  Prayers.... lots of prayers, and good vibes.   :dance:

smallpiper

• Best of Breed
  • Love my Hanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »
Lovely mosaics, and beautiful pups.  Very good luck that he tossed it up!   :great:

delly1971

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 05:31:25 AM »
so glad the dog is ok. what a beautiful place you have + i love your mosaics x
r.i.p asti 29.07.02 - 04.09.11 x

smallpiper

• Best of Breed
  • Love my Hanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 09:32:30 PM »
So, it the tricky bag swallowing boxer still doing fine?  No lasting problems from the bag event I hope...

Happy New year. 

MosaicMom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 03:09:30 PM »
Hi there...and Happy 2011...can you believe it?? wow...my passport gets older and older!!   :))

Rudy is as fine as frog's hair!!! You'd never know that he had a life-threatening problem less than a week ago! Thank you all for your concern and advice!!!

The Boxer Dog Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 03:09:30 PM »