Author Topic: Does neutering really calm the dog  (Read 6073 times)

gallagher

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
Does neutering really calm the dog
« on: December 02, 2010, 01:57:02 AM »
I would like to hear anything on this as weve never had a dog neutered - does it really calm them ?

BuddyBoy

• Best of Breed
  • All set Dad.. Let's go!
    • View Profile
Re: Does neutering really calm the dog
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 07:22:26 AM »
Well I have heard from vets who claim it does, and I have heard from breeders and trainers who say it doesn't. Kind of hard to prove since every dog is different and you don't know how they would have turned out either way.

Buddy was nuetered but he is plenty active and playful; he does all the normal boxer things that we find so entertaining and sometimes so frustrating. He also lifts his leg and marks when we are out on our walks.

He is only 11 months old now, so still a puppy but he is not aggressive towards other dogs or overly protective, he likes to try to dominate us when we roughhouse but still knows his place and stops on command.

The only negative impact that the nuetering may have had is his skeletal/musculature development. His chest and head are kind of narrow still... maybe they will continue to broaden as he matures but at the moment he is not as "thick" as I would have expected.

It would make sense since there would be less testosterone...I think

butler

• Best of Breed
  • the best life is one you share others
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 09:37:01 AM »
i watch a dog whisperer one time and he was telling an guy who had two male intact dogs that kept fighting that neutering would help alot. but the owner didnt believe in neutering dogs so cesar went on to say that if you dont fix your dog he needs to be bred twice a year to keep his testosterone down. which makes sense to me, an intact dog has all these urges that he cant act on and it makes him frustrated and act out, but a fixed dog will not even have those urges. but i think it depends on the dog.

boxermum

• Puppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 07:06:55 PM »
Hi  It depends on the age of a dog.A young dog will benefit from being neutered around 5 - 6mths before they become fully sexually mature.This can help with preventing aggression issues and wandering looking for females in season and lifting the leg on everything.Neutering wont fix behavioural problems however which can occur in older males.if this is the case a vet check to ensure there is no underlying medical condition,the vet would probaly suggest that neutering would help but obedience training would be required to correct bad behaviour. 

tatlim

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
I rescued a Doberman about 4 months ago who had been starved and beaten therefore hes very nervous and this can sometimes cause problems when visitors call, hes awful at the vet too.
Hes roughly 3 years old now and we want him done but our vet recommends waiting until his confidence is up due to testosterone levels.l
Hes not at all agressive with other dogs so it hasnt been a problem until we tried to rescue a Boxer, the rescue centre wont even consider us even though in my eyes its a medical issue, so we will have to stay a one dog family until Zeuss is fixed.
xx Tina

CoopersMom

• Puppy
    • View Profile
Does neutering really calm the dog
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 05:06:51 AM »
From my experience, neutering doesn't really effect a dog. My two pups were both neutered at about 5 months old, and the day after surgery their still crazy boxer pups as usual. Even wearing their "E" collars they kept romping and roaring around. We ended up buying 7 "E" collars cause they kept crashing into each other and cracking the ones they had on. And at 17 bucks a piece it got annoying after a while and I just started duct taping their collars when they would crack. Lol. I'm sure the neighbors got a kick out of seeing 2 boxer pups with "lamp shades" on covered in strips of duct tape! Anyways, back on subject, I don't think neutering calms them down really. I'm sure it help with stopping the urge to roam, breed, or mark territory though.

thealpha

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 06:33:04 AM »
 about 9 years ago,my parents had a dobey(male) and a mix breed dog(male) ( not neutered), they got along awesome. Until a family member brought their female dog down to their house for vacation.  The two males fought over the female, so after the female left. They still fought. They couldnt be in the same area as each other. Vet said to neuture one of them, and it will help. We neutred the mix breed dog (kodiak) and it did not help. They fought so much we had to give my aunt  kodiak. Anyways, it might depend on the dog or situation too
Sadey and Bellas Fan Club director

butler

• Best of Breed
  • the best life is one you share others
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 10:23:36 AM »
well it has only been 3 days since bo got neutered but he does seem to be calmer, and he even listens better, i think some of it has to do with still hurting a little but after 3 days the anesthesia should be all worn off... its not a huge difference but its enough for me to notice the little change in him

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Central Illinois General & Maggie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 10:59:11 AM »
Awe, sweet Bo.   :)
The General and Maggie
From Central Illinois

boxorox

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 02:30:17 PM »
I am one that thinks it calms the dog. They don't feel the need to go see the female down the street and what not. :) Both my boys are rescues & weren't fixed until we adpoted them.
But I have heard to wait until a yr with a male as the hormones will help him muscle up a bit.

gab

• Champion
  • Hank's Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 04:49:57 PM »
Hank was fixed at age 5 mo. It hasn't stopped him from being the wild and crazy guy we love, but I do believe that it will stop him from wanting to go party with the ladies.  He's 8 mo old now and still squats to tinkle, if he never learns to lift the leg that's fine with me.  He does bark and growl when he sees another dog with his hackles on his back raised until I tell him to cut it out.  But for the most part he is the typical Boxer with all the energy and play that he had before. 

The Boxer Dog Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 04:49:57 PM »