Author Topic: Our boxer suddenly having seizures, desperate!  (Read 3442 times)

maureen73

• View Profile
Our boxer suddenly having seizures, desperate!
« on: October 20, 2014, 09:33:56 pm »
Our six year old boxer, Jack recently started having cluster seizures about a month ago. Prior to that we had noticed some subtle behavioral changes in him such as growling at strange people/dogs. He also gained a lot of weight and was sleeping a lot. After he had the seizures we immediately brought him to our vet and he said that his epilepsy could be caused by a brain tumor, GME or epilepsy. He was started on a very low dose of Phenobarbitol and given a Cortisone shot and B12 shots. The shots made a huge difference but only lasted a couple of weeks. The Pheno was too low of a dose and while the cluster seizures stopped he continued to have "lesser" seizures. A decision was made to increase the Pheno to a dose more appropriate for his size and add Prednisone. We also switched to an all natural grain free food and a natural liquid vitamin. Here is our heartbreak....we can handle the seizures but there is one symptom we are seeing that is breaking us emotionally. Many times during the day when Jack stands up very quickly he will "scream" as though someone is poking him with an electric prod in the head. We can not handle our beloved boy suffering or in pain. Our three children are 7, 8 and 9 and have been a major support for Jack since he got sick. My husband and I are so torn....we agree between our tears that as long as Jack shows quality of life and at least some improvement with no signs of pain we want to do everything we can. At this point, he seems so pitiful that we doubt whether we are doing what is right for our boy. Our kids are begging us to give him more time. We don't know what to do. Is it possible that he is "screaming" or yelping when he stands up because he is disoriented from the medicine? Or do you think we just don't want to face the truth that it is most likely pain from something originating in his brain? Desperate at the point for input or experiences! Thank you for listening.

Purplelori222

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
Re: Our boxer suddenly having seizures, desperate!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 09:51:05 am »
I have no idea, but it must be terrible to see him going thru this.  I think if it were my dog, I'd give him another week or so to see if there are any changes either way---and really pay attention to how he is acting.  That will be your best clue as to what the best thing to do will be.  My heart goes out to you and Jack as well as the rest of your family.  I will keep you in my thoughts-please keep us informed on his progress.
Lori & Wally

RIP Carli & Simon

CrazyBoxerLady

• Best of Breed
  • Rocky & Ruger's Momma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 05:32:49 pm »
I'm sure this is breaking your heart. So sad.
I too would give him some more time before making a decision. You never know, maybe your vet has other options.
I'll keep your family & Jack in my prayers. Please keep us updated.

If love could have saved you, you would have never left me

proud grandma

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 06:08:46 pm »
     Have you had a brain scan or MRI?  I would def do it!  My heart is breaking for you and your boy.  Many prayers to you. 
Never expect to teach a dog more than he can teach you

Skunkape

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 06:56:47 pm »
I would talk to the vet and see what other options are available. Reading all of the posting about losing our pets makes me worry about my young pups. I hope they turn out healthy. I've never had a dog with half the issues such as what I've read about here. It would break my heart if either of my pups have to go through what seems to be fairly common with boxers. They look so darn sturdy.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:28:30 pm by Skunkape »

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Central Illinois Maggie and Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 07:13:47 pm »
My heart hurts for you and your dear boy.  Prayers are coming your way.  (((HUGS)))
Maggie May 07/04/2010     Major Lee  02/22/2016

RIP  The General  02/04/2008 - 03/05/2016  You will always be in our hearts Big Boy!

maureen73

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 11:13:57 am »
I have a positive update....it may only be short lived but we will take it! On recommendation from others, we got a second opinion from a holistic vet who will work with our primary. She did a full (2 hour examination and treatment) and discovered a pinched nerve and a spot in his spine and neck that were out of alignment. After acupuncture and an adjustment along with massage and the addition of a higher dose of Prednisone along with other herbal supplements to relax his muscles the screaming sound diminished significantly yesterday and is absent today. He is more alert and awake AND I am thrilled to say he actually trotted in the field for a bit (something he has not done in the month since this all started). I know that it could all be temporary but quality of life is what we are seeking and it gives me a tiny bit of hope and optimism for our guy!

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Central Illinois Maggie and Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 11:20:59 am »
That's great news.  My prayers will be going out to him. 
Maggie May 07/04/2010     Major Lee  02/22/2016

RIP  The General  02/04/2008 - 03/05/2016  You will always be in our hearts Big Boy!

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 01:19:18 pm »
Hoping and wishing him the best..
Loved by  Luna & Brandi & Bosco

Forever in my heart Amber, Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila,Koda,Nala

proud grandma

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 12:00:56 pm »
     Wonderful!!   I pray he continues to improve!
Never expect to teach a dog more than he can teach you

Purplelori222

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 04:38:05 pm »
Good to hear--hope it continues!
Lori & Wally

RIP Carli & Simon

dizzylizzy

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 08:40:09 pm »
Glad you are seeking a holistic vet. That's your best bet:)

maureen73

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 07:09:25 am »
Thank you! He has his next treatment this afternoon. At least we have hope and our Saturday "deadline" so that he would need to show some quality of life and improvement ended up with a nice walk and lots of snuggles instead!

Eilene1015

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 09:43:19 am »
 :great:
Loved by  Luna & Brandi & Bosco

Forever in my heart Amber, Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila,Koda,Nala

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 12:08:14 pm »
Sorry I wasn't around when you posted your first message.  So glad to read your update though.   I am a fan of holistic health care for myself and my dogs, but have had mixed results with it.   I really, really hope Jack continues to improve, at 6 years, he is still young.  Please stay in touch and let us know how he gets on.