Author Topic: Blue Buffalo Wilderness and loose stools?  (Read 6438 times)

gab

• Champion
  • Hank's Mom
    • View Profile
Blue Buffalo Wilderness and loose stools?
« on: September 07, 2010, 03:31:57 PM »
Hank was being so picky and a snacky type of eater not eating but maybe 1 cup a day if I was lucky of the Diamond Naturals for large breed puppy.  I was starting to get worried that he was not eating as much because he didn't have the competition of the litter mates for food.  I got a couple cans of Blue Buffalo Wilderness and was adding just about 1/4 cup to his dry Diamond food then mixing with some warm water and boy did he go at it.  But, now he has very very loose stools and borderline runny.  He does not seem to be sick at all very active and happy, no mucus or anything in the stools so I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same problem with just adding that little to the bowl.  He had firm before Istarted adding the canned Wilderness Blue Buffalo.  But he also had his 12 week shot on the same day I decided to add to his food, this is  the 3rd day since the shot, the vet said to just give him pepto but not sure if that is a good idea either. What's a new momma to do?

FrankieFirme

• Best of Breed
  • Gotta LUV them Boxers!
    • View Profile
Re: Blue Buffalo Wilderness and loose stools?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 05:03:45 PM »
I've never tried the canned Blue Buffalo, although I've been told it's great for weaning young puppies off mommie. :-*

I use the Wilderness Formula kibble, and besides the chopped up Pet Botanics meat roll treat added, I add hot water, and stir it while letting it sit & cool.

I was told by my Vet , "The juicier the food, the juicier the poop".

After about 5 minutes, the kibble absorbs the water, and it expands. Before it gets completely dry, I give it one last stir and give it to them once it's cooled down. I know this sounds funny, but it actually smells pretty good! LOL! ;D ;D.

I had tried about 5 or 6 other types of dog food ( my first 2 choices were supermarket brand, i.e. cheap), and usually got loose, SMELLY :o poops and KILLER :o gas attacks (i.e. farts that could clear a room! >:D)....also, my poor Layla, we discovered, has a couple of food allergies, and can barf at the drop of a hat if she eats human junk food, or dog food with corn, pork, or soy. Chocolate candy is toxic to dogs.

I feed them 2 cups each w/about a 1/2 inch slice of the meat roll chopped uptwice daily, I don't snack them very regularly, and only use treats for training or tricks, or when introducing a friendly stranger to them. I swear Tyson (the guy on the right) could win an Oscar for his wrinkled forehead, sad eyed, whining, begging act while he's sitting and smacking his lips, but I don't give them table scraps, either. :'( :-*. I've also had to do some creative "placing" of my kitchen trash can and outside trash cans, as these pups can go "dumpster diving" in a minute.

It's taken some time, but my pups are on a good feeding schedule, are walked daily, and are doing quite well....I almost feel embarassed for my neighbor down the street, who has a chubby looking boxer that's only 3 years old, but walks like he's an old man already.

Hope this helps.
Gotta LUV them Boxers!
~ Frankie  :great:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:04:35 AM by FrankieFirme »

Nancy-IL

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Central Illinois General & Maggie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 05:23:43 PM »
Pepto Bismol is a must in the medicine cabinet.   I've been told this by other vets and it helped the General when he was in need of a little help when he was a puppy.  Hope things work out soon. 
The General and Maggie
From Central Illinois

smallpiper

• Best of Breed
  • Love my Hanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:07:43 PM »
Hanna never had really loose stools, but they are pretty soft, on the Blue Buffalo dry.  Any table food she gets ahold of usually gives her loose stools.
Dogs and kids... a natural combination....

BoxerMax

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:38:08 AM »
Pepto Bismol is a must in the medicine cabinet.   I've been told this by other vets and it helped the General when he was in need of a little help when he was a puppy.  Hope things work out soon. 

I agree Pepto works wonders on Max and he really likes it, lol...

I add hot water, and stir it while letting it sit & cool.

Not sure if you read the what I posted on how to choose a good kibble but from what I read and have been told by my Vet, Blue Buffalo Wilderness has been preserved with mixed tocopherals and "citric acid". Although the mixed tocopherals are a natural preservative, the citric acid when mixed with water has been known to cause bloating in dogs. Not sure if there is any truth to the myth but you might want to check on that.

gab

• Champion
  • Hank's Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 10:37:50 AM »
Thanks everyone, I hate to keep switching on him but if he doesn't improve by the weekend I'll go for the roll food.  We don't have a local Pets Smart here and will have to travel about 30 miles but that's better than dealing with the runs.  I will eventually go to Blue Buffalo kibble as well but being the breeder was feeding Diamond I stuck with that to begin with.  I've got Pepto and he does like it "YUK", and he was better last night. Gosh I sure do like this site. :great:  So many great folks with right-on advice.   

smallpiper

• Best of Breed
  • Love my Hanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 07:10:55 PM »
Don't overlook making plain cooked rice.  It works for doggie nausea and loose stools, and they love it.
Dogs and kids... a natural combination....

butler

• Best of Breed
  • the best life is one you share others
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 09:11:22 PM »
how long has it been since you first started switching? i know that while adding in new food it can take a couple weeks for the pup to get used to it. i myself feed Bo(11 weeks) blue buffalo puppy food. and he is doing great on it. since you dont have a pet smart near by try a local feed store, we get ours from tractor supply co.

gab

• Champion
  • Hank's Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 10:11:31 AM »
I am still feeding him the Diamond  dry puppy food but he was not eating much was lucky to get him to eat  1 1/2 cups a day so I started adding about 1/4 cup of Blue Buffalo Wilderness canned to his bowl with a little warm water and mix together.  He really loved it and has ate very well even to the point of getting very excited when he sees me with the food bowl.  I started this about a week ago and his stools are really loose, I've given him some pepto and it works as long as I'm giving it to him but don't really want to rely on it for long.  Maybe it's just going to take a while for him to get used to the addition of the canned food.

gallagher

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2010, 11:29:29 AM »
Perhaps plain rice along with his food so its not another switch - puppies are often loose when they are introduced to a new food. Hope puppsie is better soon.

BoxerMax

• Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 02:26:36 PM »
Well I found the Pet Botanics Loaf that we've been talking about but it seems to give Max the super softee poop, lol... I thought it was bad picking up his poop before and the smell  :o Oh my word. No more Pet Botanics for him, lol... It was worth a try though. I will stick with the BBW Kibble.

gab

• Champion
  • Hank's Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 03:03:32 PM »
Well it seems that Hank just needed to get used to the new addition to his food, not only is he eating so fast now that I'm concerned about bloat, he really likes the addition of the BBuffalo canned Wilderness food but his poopie is much firmer now.  I'll see how this goes for a while, don't want to take the chance on causing that repeat episode by making any changes.  I'll try the cooked rice if he reverts back to mushy again.

Stephanie

• Global Moderator
  • Best of Breed
  • Ruby & Roddy are 9 years, Jakey 14 years
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 07:07:29 AM »
I am glad it seems to have settled down.  If he is eating too fast, you could try one of these special dishes that force them to slow down - have a look at this link - http://www.shopwiki.com/Eat+Slow+Dog+Food+Bowl.  One of the dogs I board has one - it slows her down about 50 percent - she is still quick though!  Alternatively, buy kongs and stuff all his meals into those - not only will that slow him down but it will keep him busy for ages too.  :)

IMG_2047e by Boxerdogmad, on Flickr

gab

• Champion
  • Hank's Mom
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 03:30:43 PM »
I'm all for keeping him busy.  My hubby says Hank is my shadow.  If I leave the room and he doesn't see me he will start frantically looking for where I went, I'll hear him say  FOR  GOODNESS SAKE she's just in the other room!!.  Mamma's Boy :)) I'll try that suggestion on feeding and in the Kong toys to occupy him. Thank you

judacious

• Best of Breed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 12:11:27 PM »
i read somewere that cooked pumkin fixes diareah also znd it does work for Jasper really well just add like 2 tbsp to his kibble and its gone and you can buy it in 16 oz cans lol :) not the pie mix just the reg plain pumkin. hope this helps also
Jasper 5/21/2010 floppy/docked

The Boxer Dog Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 12:11:27 PM »